Presenting: Edmonton Food Faves We Crave
While both Linda and I have maintained long-standing blogs which include weekly suggestions for dining options, we are often still asked for recommendations and to share our “favourite” restaurants. As a result, some time ago, Linda and I started to think about how we might put together a list of some of our favourite places. Edmontonfoodfaves.ca was born, with 15 categories of our #YEGFoodFaves, with three suggestions under each.
We want to make it clear that this list (like all “best of” or “top” lists) is completely subjective to our tastes, not at all exhaustive, and reflects our biases.
To help launch our list, we’ve put together an “Edmonton Food Faves We Crave Passport” you are invited to follow for a chance to win prizes, while supporting local restaurants and eating some pretty tasty food along the way!
From Oct.19-Nov. 16, 2022, visit places on our Food Faves list and share about where you’ve gone and what dishes you’ve tried to be entered to win gift cards to our favourite places! More details about how to enter are on the page.
We hope you’ll enjoy eating your way through #YEGFoodFaves as much as we enjoyed putting together our list!
- Chain Yushang Rice Noodle is now open at 10167 109 Street.
- Oomami Dog, offering Asian-inspired kurobuta pork hot dogs and seafood rolls, is now open inside the south side location of Splash Poke (4112A Calgary Trail).
- NV Restaurant opened about a month ago in Edgemont (20015 Lessard Road).
- Walmart has opened in Kingsway Mall (having relocated the location from Westmount Centre).
- Beverly Dining Week returns October 21-30, 2022, with 10 participating restaurants offering menu specials priced at $15-$30.
- Phil’s latest Best Dish column highlights Cafe Caribbean.
- Edmonton AM’s Snackchecker is returning for one week with sweet treats, starting with Summerside Cookie Co.
- Taproot covered the story behind the YEG Food Masters competition, which launched earlier this month. It was launched by the folks behind El Beso, and will continue monthly until next June.
- Taproot also featured Hungry Zine and the philosophy behind their approach.
- CBC interviewed Shaminder Parma for a primer on Diwali, the festival of lights being celebrated in South Asian cultures around October 24 this year.
- Northern Chicken fostered a bike that had been prevented from being stolen last week.
- Alberta Impact interviewed The Public’s co-founder Ken Bautista, as well as Nicole Matos and Courtney Hanak of Oonie.
- Jason Foster shared his thoughts on the winners of the 2022 Alberta Beer Awards.
- Prairie Gardens in Sturgeon County has since been allowed to re-open since a stop order was issued, but only at a third of its usual capacity.
What I Ate
- We started our month of #YEGFoodFaves with a return to King Noodle House. I love noodle soups year-round (as evidenced from the list!), but the cravings especially kick in when the weather takes a turn. We made the brisk walk over on Friday to pick up our take-out of my go-to Bun Bo Hue.
Our King Noodle House order