- Pei Pei Chei Ow started serving breakfast and lunch take-out at Whiskeyjack Art House in early May. They are open Wednesday to Friday 8am-3pm. Find them at #102, 11051 97 Street.
- Nuttea, specializing in nut-based “mylk tea”, hosted their grand opening on May 7, 2022 at 8204 Gateway Blvd.
- It looks like Japonais Bistro will be opening a second location in Windermere.
- Vish is opening up its first Canadian franchise location at 10326 124 Street. Their concept is an “urban hummus bar”.
- Serengeti BBQ, serving up East African cuisine, is now open at 8815 118 Avenue.
- Y-Not Indian Bar & Bistro, focused on Indo-Chinese and Nepalese cuisine, opened on May 4, 2022 at 3311 34 Street.
- The Golden Spoon, serving South Asian food, opened recently at 3820 17 Street.
- Gigi’s, a “walk-up window ice cream shop creating ice cream inspired by cheesecake”, opened in Spruce Grove this weekend.
- After 18 years in business, the owners of Langano Skies has announced that they will be closing in late June. It may not be the last we see of Amsale and Paul Sumamo: “While this may be sad news to some, please understand this is not a final goodbye – but a “see you later”…We’re hoping to continue serving our food at Edmonton’s summer festivals & have some extremely exciting plans in the works – so be sure to keep your eyes peeled!”
- The Backyard is hosting a live music series that starts called For the Love of Downtown. It starts May 19, 2022 and runs every Thursday into September, and admission is free by donation to local charities, and food from partner restaurants will be available during the events.
- The Old Strathcona Farmers’ Market will be operating another market at the Currents of Windermere on Thursdays from 4-7pm from May 19-September 29, 2022. Expect over 40 vendors.
- Tenants at Strathearn Centre have been given six months’ notice to be out by October 31 for a redevelopment project. Affected tenants include long-standing Ralph’s Handi Mart, neighbourhood favourite Juniper Cafe, and Al Manara, a seafood shop and market.
- Farmers’ market vendor Dutch Girl Cafe faced a series of issues in April, and will need support to get through the next month.
- It looks like Battista’s Calzones might be back open as soon as next week after the fire they experienced two weeks ago.
- The Gateway featured Kaffa Roaster & Studio and how it has grown organically to match the vision held by its co-founder.
- Twyla’s highlighted Fleisch Delikatessen on Edmonton AM last week.
- Chef Doren Prei of May is featured in the current issue of Modern Luxuria.
- Edify checked out Burger Daddy.
- I loved hearing about the inspiration behind Emily Chu’s new series of snack food illustrations that she sold at Royal Bison this weekend.
- Congratulations to Culinaire Magazine for reaching its ten year milestone.
Urban Agriculture and Farming
- Did you know that Canada is celebrating the Year of the Garden in 2022? People are encouraged to plant something red to celebrate their pride.
What I Ate
- Mack and I stopped by Hoang Long’s third location, in the former Al Centro space (9892 Jasper Avenue), last week for some iced Vietnamese coffees. We found out they make their own doughnuts and macarons in-house, and also serve Flirt Cupcakes. Their signage could use some work, but they are open Monday to Saturday 10am-6pm.
Sweet treats from Hoang Long 888
- Mack and I had a date night at Dalla Tavola Zenari on Friday! We had a lovely meal (the lasagna would have been big enough to share) with great service. I am looking forward to returning, hopefully on the patio!
Lasagna bianca and salsicce crostoni from Dalla
- Comfort in a bowl from Kasey Ramen was the perfect way to start off the week.
Kitakata ramen from Kasey Ramen