Winter’s really digging in it’s heels, isn’t it? I hope you’re staying warm through this first real blast of cold. On to this week’s food notes:
- Want to learn more about permaculture and perennial growing systems? Join Permies at the Pub on November 16, 2017 at Yellowhead Brewery. Early bird tickets are $10 for non-members.
- Save the date for Jacek Chocolate Couture’s grand reopening of their Sherwood Park boutique on November 18, 2017.
- It’ll be interesting to see what other restaurant goes into the Kelly Ramsey building to join Credo and OEB opens.
- Old Town Pub took over the former Elephant & Castle space (10314 82 Avenue) in Old Strathcona earlier this fall.
- Graham was optimistic after his first few visits to Revel.
- The Journal was impressed with the tasting menu offered at the Alder Room.
- Jonny enjoyed his experience at Bottega 104.
- Vue Weekly spends more time musing about the art than the food in a review for Pasta Brioni.
- The Tomato now has a podcast! The latest episode features Doris and Patrick Saurette from The Marc.
- It’s great to see a local home baker, Terri Thompson, featured on The Great Canadian Baking Show – I hope she gets far!
- Just in time for your holiday shopping, Knifewear is holding a fall garage sale in-store and online from November 6-12, 2017.
- There are also two local chocolate advent calendars to choose from this season – pre-orders are now being accepted for calendars from Jacek Chocolate Couture and Violet Chocolate Company.
- Alberta Flavour spotlights Honest Dumplings as a case study in scaling up a small local food business.
- Mack and I combined business with pleasure last week, and snuck in a few good meals while in Calgary. The best meal was at Calcutta Cricket Club, a hip spot from the folks behind Native Tongues Taqueria. We sampled a few dishes, the most unique being their kati rolls (paratha wraps).
Paneer and tandoori spiced chicken kati rolls
- We also enjoyed our visit to Banana Leaf Tropical Cuisine, though to be honest, the laksa was a few notches spicier than I could comfortably handle. The kitchen was extremely generous with the meat portions, too.
Curry beef brisket laksa and roti
- Back home, we hit up Farrow’s second location in Ritchie after running errands nearby. It’s been too long, grick middle.
The grick middle from Farrow