After a week of searing heat, the cool weather today felt cold! Nice to have a bit of a break, but I hope the clear skies return soon! On to this week’s food notes:
- Pastry fans take note – FanFan Patisserie is the newest bakery to open in Edmonton, located at 10330 80 Avenue.
- RE:GRUB, a popular Calgary-based burger and milkshake bar, is now open in Old Strathcona at 8219 104 Street.
- Old Strathona has had a spate of restaurant openings – Avila Arepa, is another, a Venezuelan restaurant that joined the neighbourhood at the end of June at 10760 82 Avenue, Unit C.
- Market favourite Frickin’ Delights Donuts will be opening up a storefront in Devon on July 19, 2017.
- Remedy just keeps on expanding – their next location will be at Southgate Centre.
- Great to see that the space formerly occupied by The Dish and the Runaway Spoon will no longer be empty – the folks behind Sabor Divino hope to open a third branch of Bodega by August.
- Speaking of Bodega, their Highlands location offers a Spanish brunch every weekend from 11am-2pm.
- If you’re looking for dinner with a view, consider Highlands Golf Club. The restaurant, open to the public, recently launched a new menu.
- Jason Foster has some early thoughts about Biera.
- Twyla was disappointed with the flavours at El Mariachi.
- Liv is the latest to sample the fare at Vaticano Cucina.
- Graham enjoyed the freshness of poke offerings at both Splash Poke and ‘Ono Poke.
- Jonny appreciated the innovation behind Alta’s menu.
- The Journal declares brunch at Beaumont’s Chartier worth the trip.
- If your knives need sharpening, consider Knifewear: for the month of July, 100% of the proceeds will be donated to the Red Cross wildfire appeal.
- The Journal covered this weekend’s free public tour of Northlands Urban Farm. It’s a great learning opportunity in the heart of the city (I had the chance to attend last year) – the next tour takes place September 10, 2017; register here.
- If you’re looking for a farm experience outside the city, don’t forget about Alberta Open Farm Days, running August 19-20, 2017.
- We finally made our way to the 124 Grand Market this season – it’s always a lovely way to spend a summer night. And, well, the Drift poutine didn’t hurt either.
Poutine from Drift
- After checking out the first Experience Jasper Avenue event on Saturday, Mack and I took advantage of a perfect patio day and enjoyed some of the happy hour specials at Cactus Club Cafe. $3 slides/fries/tacos and $4 drinks – what’s not to love?
- It feels like we’re in the height of summer – we’re incorporating as much of it on our plates as possible, including at breakfast!