- Northern Chicken, a forthcoming restaurant from Chefs Matt Phillips and Andrew Cowan, is hosting a fried chicken pop-up at Dovetail Deli on April 17 from
- Trinity United Church will be screening Just Eat It, a film about food waste on April 22, 2016, followed by a tasting of smoothies made from rescued produce. Admission is free but donations are encouraged.
- On May 5, 2016, Effing Seafood is hosting a pop-up evening of oysters and wine at The Cavern. Tickets are $80 per person.
- Chutneys Indian Grill, a fast casual Indian restaurant, is opening up this summer at 4316 17 Street.
- Cindy has the first review (as she usually does!) for Nudoru Japanese Noodles + Tapas (10532 82 Avenue). Nudoru is notable for being the only ramen restaurant in Edmonton who makes their own noodles.
- The Journal reviewed Soy and Pepper, the modern Korean eatery Downtown, and made a note of the steep prices.
- Cathy enjoyed the fried chicken at Dixie Lee (8943 82 Avenue), which replaced the Cheese Factory.
- Jonny found a great hidden gem in Castle Bake, a northside Lebanese eatery.
- Looking for a new brunch destination? Andrea checked out El Cortez’s new Sunday brunch menu.
- Cindy recapped the recent Buddha Boys takeover of Prairie Noodle.
- I love Edmonton, but our placement on this international list seems a bit suspicious: on a reader-voted Conde Nast Traveler list for Best Pizzas in the World, Edmonton landed a the #8 spot, ahead of Milan and Florence.
- The Little Potato Company is a really great local success story. They’re now expanding into the US to feed the growing demand.
- Information about the Urban Hens Pilot Project is now up, which will issue 50 licenses for urban hens, beginning on April 28, 2016.
- The Alberta Farmers’ Market mobile app is now live. Its primary function seems to be for consumers to locate their nearest open market on any given day, but what I personally would have found more useful would have been a current, updated list of vendors at each market.
- Welcome Careit Urban Deli to 104 Street (10226 104 Street)! It opened up last Friday, and already has some local products on its shelves, such as Jam Lady jams and Irvings Farm Fresh bacon. There are lots of grab and go items available in the cooler, in addition to their sandwich selection.
Careit Urban Deli Downtown
- I attended the Lick Your Plate cookbook launch last week, and sampled some of the tasty desserts from the book. It was fun to run into some familiar faces, including Jacquie.
Enjoying some tea-based cocktails at the cookbook launch