- Get into the winter spirit – the Winter Excitement Guide has some great suggestions, including Frostival in McCauley taking place each weekend in December. Chestnuts roasting on an open fire, anyone?
- Save the date: Honest Dumplings is hosting their first pop-up on December 12, 2014 in Drift’s new space on 124 Street!
- Mark your calendar for a new food festival this coming March – Northern Lands is bringing Chefs Vikram Vij and Dale MacKay to join some of Edmonton’s best chefs to showcase local food along with Canadian wines, beers and spirits.
- Thanks to Amelia, I found out that there’s a new French bakery in town: Passion de France (11812 86 Street) on Alberta Avenue. You can also find them on Twitter. I look forward to checking them out soon!
- Central Social Hall has revamped their menu (and is opening a second location in St. Albert).
- Karlynn and Phil now have a podcast – check out the first episode of Where I Ate Wednesday, all about their favourite Christmas in November eats.
- Congrats to the team behind The Yards, a quarterly publication launched by the Downtown and Oliver Community Leagues. Check out their inaugural issue, including a page on downtown’s cheapest eats.
- Looking for a gift who will satisfy the kitchen-inclined? Some Edmonton chefs share their gadget recommendations.
- The year-end celebration for one of the volunteer committees I belong to was held at Zinc last week, and Mack was able to come along as well. He enjoyed the crab cakes, but it was the pea risotto that won raves around the table. The sweet and spicy prawns were perfectly cooked, but they were a bit unbalanced and heavy on the heat.
Atlantic Blue crab cakes
Sweet & spicy baked prawns with green pea risotto
- Mack and I headed to RGE RD for dinner on Friday – their dining room was a cozy respite from the cold! I loved the sablefish, served with a delectable mushroom broth.