Mack and I were away most of the long weekend at Goose Lake with his family. Given cell coverage in the area is sporadic to non-existent, we were able to focus on time outdoors and around the fire. Hope you had a relaxing weekend as well! On to this week’s food notes:
- Did you hear – Drift is hoping to move into a storefront! Help them pay the rent at their Burger Night pop-up from 5-9pm on August 9, 2014 at 10721 124 Street. Check out the menu.
- Save the date: our next What the Truck?! is taking place Saturday, August 16, 2014 in Borden Park, featuring ten trucks. RSVP to the Facebook event!
- Help Mother’s Market celebrate their grand opening on August 17, 2014.
- Great news – Elm Café is expanding again downtown! No official word on where downtown just yet, however, though I have a good guess.
- Karlynn gives us a sneak peek of El Cortez, the tequila bar everyone has been waiting for. It hopes to open August 15, 2014.
- It sounds like Twyla found a gem in the Portuguese restaurant A Taverna.
- The Green & Gold Garden now sells locally-roasted coffee sourced from a co-operative in Rwanda, with some proceeds going to Tubahumurize (the non-profit the garden supports that helps marginalized women in Rwanda).
- I loved this “Inglorious Fruits and Vegetables” campaign launched by a supermarket in France, which convinced producers to purchase the usually less-than-desirable imperfect produce with a clever marketing idea. Bravo.
- Congrats to Jacqueline and the rest of the team at Jacek Chocolate Couture for a fantastic opening weekend for their new shop on 104 Street (10140 104th Street)! It’s great to have another specialty business on the street – welcome to the neighbourhood!
Jacqueline in her new downtown store (she insisted on not being in the photo alone)
- Mack’s parents were in Edmonton during the week, so we decided to introduce them to The Parlour. The pizza was a hit!
Calamari (loved the charred lime on top)
- After our engagement shoot with Bruce & Sarah, we wound down over a bottle of wine and some food close to home at Tzin. Kelsey and her staff were incredibly accommodating (as we were running late), and were open to us taking a few shots on the patio as well. Thanks for the wonderful evening!
I will never pass up an opportunity to order the pork belly
- As I mentioned above, we spent the weekend at Goose Lake. A final parting shot!
3 thoughts on “Food Notes for August 4, 2014”
I’m very excited for Nate’s new location, it’s on the way to work for me when I take the LRT to work.