Mack’s parents are in town for part of this week, and we ended up visiting later into the evening last night than we had originally planned to. Hence – a belated Food Notes:
- Jacek Chocolate Couture on 104 Street will be opening on August 1, 2014! I can’t wait to check out the new shop.
- Food Day Canada is taking place on August 2, 2014. See which local restaurants are marking the occasion.
- The Heritage Festival runs August 2-4, 2014. If you haven’t already, check out the full menu, and then pick up discounted food tickets at your nearest Servus Credit Union (a sheet of 30 for $20 instead of $25).
- I was sorry to hear Everything Cheese closed its doors last week. As they shared in their last mailout: “Running a small, independent retail business is tough at the best of times, but when struck with calamity [a flood], it can be a deal breaker. So this dream and adventure has come to an end, but other adventures await us.”
- Have you heard of Loma House (9143 – 23 Avenue), a new vegetarian restaurant in Edmonton? Me neither, until I read Cindy’s post, anyway.
- Liv paid a visit to Maritime Concession in the west end.
- Andrea ventured into Ha Phuong. It looks like I’ll have to check it out myself some time soon – those green onion twists look great!
- Vue Weekly reviewed Sushi Sugoi last week.
- First there was Taco Day, now there’s Fondita Day at Expressionz Cafe – read all about it on Lillian’s blog.
- The City is looking for feedback on urban agriculture. The survey deadline is August 31, 2014.
- A new law just came into effect in France, where restaurants can declare that certain dishes are house made. Unfortunately, the law is problematic and confusing, full of exceptions to the rule.
- Congratulations to Earth’s General Store, who opened their second location on 104 Street just north of Jasper Avenue on Friday! Particularly with the impending closure of Sobeys, it is great to have Earth’s so close at hand.
It’s great to see the shelves full again!
- We had a staff lunch at the nearby Padmanadi today. It’s been a while since I’ve had it, but their ginger “beef” is so close to the real thing it’s scary. Delicious!