Hot on the heels of our Truck Stop at Baconfest, we’re returning to Boyle Street Plaza for a second year in a row for a burger-themed Truck Stop on July 10, 2014, from 5-8pm. Check out the menus here, and I hope to see you there! On to this week’s food notes:
- Congrats to Evoolution, whose third location at Southgate Centre is now open!
- Liv posted about A Taverna, a relatively new Portuguese eatery located in Café Amore’s former space.
- Check out what you missed at the inaugural Baconfest with Cheryl’s review.
- Vue Weely has a great article featuring conversations with the bar managers behind three successful local haunts: the Next Act, Sugarbowl and The Underground.
- I had heard that another home grocery delivery service was due in Edmonton soon, but just checked out the Spud Edmonton site this week.
- I am so happy to hear that the urban beekeeping pilot was approved by City Council today. Up next, urban chickens?
- Remedy’s fourth location at 124 Street and 103 Avenue is now open!
- Pampa’s long-awaited food truck is now open! Check them out this week at the Street Performers Festival on Churchill Square.
Pampa is now mobile!
- It’s been a while since I’ve been to West Edmonton Mall, so 1st Rnd was new to me, a sports bar on BRBN St. that has since replaced the Hooters. Any thoughts from those who have been?
- While at the Mall, we also treated ourselves to sorbet popsicles from Popbar, the first Canadian location for the chain. While $4 each seemed a bit steeped, both Mack and I agreed the bars had a much more concentrated fruit flavour that either of us had expected, refreshing and intense.
With our Popbar treats
- I was happy to be among the volunteers of the second annual Heritage Chinatown Night Market on Canada Day. Like last year, the weather was smokin’ hot, and people seemed to enjoy the mix of performers and vendors.
Roxanne and I take a break from burger duty
- Afterwards, Mack and I walked down near the river to watch the inaugural Light the Bridge show, and of course, the accompanying fireworks. River Valley Road provided a great vantage point for both, and it was neat to be among so many people without feeling crowded. Check out Mack’s blog for more pictures and information about the lights.
Happy Canada Day!
- I was lucky enough to be given complimentary tickets to see Broadway Across Canada’s production of Wicked this week, running at the Jubilee Auditorium July 2-20, 2014. Though it was my second time seeing Wicked (the first being in New York seven years ago), it was my Mum’s first musical. She loved it! For me, it was great to relive one of my favourite shows (“For Good” did not disappoint), and I really enjoyed Kara Lindsay’s performance as Glinda. Her rendition of “Popular” was charm and perfect comedic timing. Go see it while you still can!
One thought on “Food Notes for July 7, 2014”