- Cav Cafe is now open in the former Burrow space located inside Central LRT station
- Miss Korea Cafe is now open at 10335A 100 Avenue.
- Khazana opened their third location last week, in north Edmonton, located at 184 Mistatim Road.
- Thai Corner opened recently at 9314 34 Avenue.
- Another location of Blowers & Grafton opened in Sherwood Park last week (#500, 7000 Emerald Drive).
- The Banquet in Ice District will open on October 15, 2022.
- Huma closed “due to unexpected family circumstances” on September 30, 2022. It sounds like some folks involved in the restaurant “intend to return to serving you homestyle Mexican favourites as soon as possible.”
- Culina on the Lake is now closed, due to the impending closure of Hawrelak Park for three years.
- Rural Routes Brewing Company in Leduc has permanently closed.
- YEG Food Masters is “a Black Box competition where competitors will be challenged to cook their best dish in 1 hour using 3 secret ingredients which will be required to be used in the dish.” Tickets are $180 for 2 people, and include cocktails and 3 dishes, and tastings of the Black Box dishes. The first event takes place October 12 at El Beso.
- Fleisch experienced a break-in and robbery last week, and would appreciate patronage.
- Juniper Cafe held a close-out sale over the weekend in advance of their final day. They will be putting together a recipe book including some of their signature dishes. The book can be pre-ordered on their website.
- For the month of October, Meuwly’s will be donating $5 from every feature smoked meat sandwich to Firefighter Aid Ukraine. This fundraiser came about because first responders have been mistakenly called to Meuwly’s many times over the past four years, including twice in the previous week.
- Sherwood Park’s Pasta Pantry is celebrating thirty years of operation.
- Shojo Izakaya (who is celebrating their third birthday) is now open for lunch.
- The latest iteration of Coffee Pass begins its pre-sale on October 4, 2022, and includes 32 cafe partners.
- Edify checked out Pal’s in Old Strathcona.
- Twyla highlighted the cuisine of El Corazon.
- Destination Doughnuts has a brand ambassador, a senior who has been a regular customer at the shop.
- Jason Foster has a round-up of breweries that are forthcoming in Alberta, along with some that closed recently, including Polar Park Brewing.
- CBC featured the University of Alberta’s Green and Gold Community Garden.
What I Ate
- The cruffin from Brio Bakery is one of my favourite treats in the city! Their filled cruffins are great, but more often than not the cinnamon sugar is my go-to.
Cinnamon sugar cruffin from Brio Bakery
- It’s great to have Northern Chicken in #yegdt! Our family of four enjoyed the patio there last week, though truth be told we only lasted about ten minutes with the food before baby Elizabeth forced us to pack it in. Thankfully, we didn’t have far to go!
Our spread from Northern Chicken