West Edmonton Mall Adds More Local Flavour
In the last year, several locally-owned businesses have opened up locations at West Edmonton Mall, including Splash Poke, Calle Mexico, and Reinette Cafe.
- North American chain Gyu-Kaku Japanese BBQ is now open in Edmonton at 10416 Jasper Avenue.
- It’s a new kind of “food truck” – YEG Coffee Can (a mobile cafe in a repurposed sea can) is now open. They’ll be moving around the city this summer, but for now, you can find them at 108 Street and 103 Avenue.
- Shojo Izakaya is a forthcoming Japanese restaurant to open in the Brewery District this summer, at 10425 121 Street.
- American candy shop chain Rocket Fizz will be opening up in Old Strathcona.
- Accent Lounge in Old Strathcona has closed.
- Dine the Ave is on now, running June 17-23, 2019. Showcasing 20 hospitality businesses on 118 Avenue from NAIT to Northlands, special menus are being offered during the week for $10, $15, and $20. I attended a media preview last week, and CBC interviewed some of the participating businesses.
- Toast Culture received a positive early review from the Journal.
- Graham was impressed with the fusion cuisine of Filistix’s new Downtown location.
- Crystal enjoyed her first foray into The Writer’s Room.
- For now, City Council has decided to wait for the province’s decision before allowing public alcohol consumption in municipal parks.
- It looks like NAIT’s first Executive Chef Michael Hassall has left, creating a vacancy.
What I Ate
- Mack, Emily, and I had our “last supper” at Blue Plate Diner last week. Due to the potential development of the Mackenzie Tower, they will be closing its 104 Street restaurant on June 30, 2019, and will relocate to another “central” location. My go-to dish for years has been their shepherd’s pie, so I had to have it again for old time’s sake.
I’m going to miss this patio!
- Some people avoid hot soups in the warmer weather, but I’m not one of them. King Noodle House’s bun bo Hue is year-round comfort food for me!
Bun Bo Hue from King Noodle
- Not food related, but as a long-suffering Raptors fan who has shared my love of the team on this blog before, I’d be remiss if I didn’t document somewhere that I’m still in shock that they managed to pull off a championship win. Still, #wethenorth!