Addition of Youth Wage Prompts Pay Equality Website
Last week, Premier Kenney announced that a youth wage would come into effect on June 26, 2019, which drops the minimum wage for part-time workers under 18 to $13 an hour. In response, some restaurants are vowing to maintain the $15 minimum wage for their staff in spite of the changes.
Alberta15.ca is a website that is trying to create a directory of provincial businesses, including restaurants, that will continue to pay their staff a “living wage”. More than a dozen Edmonton and area food businesses are listed, including Northern Chicken, Meuwly’s, Love Pizza, and The Next Act.
- Edmonton’s first “fancy toast” establishment, Toast Culture, is set to open on June 4, 2019.
- Although the Hotel Macdonald’s summer hot dog and ice cream cart was out last year, the operating hours were inconsistent. They’ve changed it this year to open 7 days a week from 11am-6pm at the top of the funicular.
- Milk Crate, a sandwich shop and cafe, is now open in the Epcor Tower.
- I hadn’t come across Hungry Birds before, a family-owned “not so typical fast food restaurant” located at #182, 4211 106 Street. It opened back in November.
- Blue Plate Diner, spurned by the potential development of the Mackenzie Tower, will be closing in its current location on 104 Street on June 30, 2019. They hope to reopen in another location Downtown.
- The Bottega in Old Strathcona is now closed.
- It’s probably been closed a while, but I just noticed that Back Home Fish and Chips is also closed.
- This year’s Filipino Fiesta, featuring entertainment, vendors, and of course, food, will take place June 22-23, 2019 at Borden Park.
- Save the date: Sturgeon County’s 2019 Culinary Cookout will take place on August 9, 2019. They released a video this week to help promote the event.
- Leduc published a pair of reviews about his visits to Say Uncle and Avila Arepa.
- Graham enjoyed his experience at Spotlight in Old Strathcona.
- Crystal shared her recent visit to Beercade for their Puzzle Battle and food.
- Congratulations to Edmonton Convention Centre Chefs Francis Derrick Flores and David Dubuc-Poirier who won gold at the Worldchef Regional Semi-Finals of the Global chefs Challenge. They will represent the Americas at the Worldchefs Congress and Expo 2020 in St. Petersburg, Russia.
- Wilfred’s playful decor is featured in this Eat North piece about restaurants using illustrators to help their vision come to life.
- NAIT’s forthcoming Centre for Culinary Innovation, opening in the fall, is the focus of a piece in Avenue this month.
Urban Agriculture and Farming
- Kaelin from The Ruby Apron shared her first backyard beekeeping experience on her blog.
- Having trouble keeping up with the relocation news about the City Market? The latest Speaking Municipally podcast breaks it down.
What I Ate
- A single La Mision burrito from Rostizado is probably easily shared by two people, but for some reason Mack and I still decided on one each. It was delicious but induced a food coma.
Chicken burrito from La Mision
- It may be dangerous to have Tiffin so close to us – they’re super efficient and the food is tasty. I especially enjoyed the mango paneer.
Take-out from Tiffin
- The bagels from District are a beautiful thing. They will eventually be available at June’s Delicatessen, part of Black Box Hospitality’s presence in the Gibbard Block in Highlands. They hope to open (along with Fox Burger) some time in July.
Cheese and everything bagels from District