Padmanadi To Open Second Location
The popular vegan restaurant Padmanadi is opening a second branch on the south side. To be located on Gateway Boulevard, north of 68 Avenue, the restaurant is intended to meet their customers’ demands, many of whom reside in south Edmonton.
However, it will be a fraction of the size of their main location, and, as befits the current shift in dining culture, will focus on delivery and take-out business. They hope to open in late July or August.
- Congratulations to Reinette Cafe for opening a second location in West Edmonton Mall (Phase 1).
- It looks like Farrow will be opening a location on 124 Street, just south of Remedy.
- A new all-you-can-eat sushi joint called Sushi Toshi will be opening at 13619 St. Albert Trail.
- Ono Poke will be adding a second location at South Edmonton Common.
- Tiffin Fresh Kitchen’s Downtown location at 10404 Jasper Avenue may finally be open on May 21, 2019.
- Milk Crate, Chef Steve Brochu’s new cafe/sandwich venture in the Epcor Tower, will open May 29, 2019.
- O’Byrne’s Irish Pub on Whyte Avenue re-opens on May 24, 2019 after restorations.
- Seconds, Please!, a locally-produced web show highlighting ethnic foods, will be premiering their latest episode about green onion cakes at the Green Onion Cake Man on June 1, 2019.
- Eats on 118 has changed formats to Dine on the Ave, with participating restaurants offering special menus at $10, $15, and $20 price points. The event runs from June 17-23, 2019.
- The Journal is suitably impressed with the elevated pub food at The Writer’s Room.
- Crystal had a mixed experience at The Cave Paleo Beastro.
- Graham is pleasantly surprised with the Turkish fare at Sofra.
- I am enjoying Liane’s current series featuring walkable, food-centric neighbourhoods. Last week, she wrote about Old Towne Beverly’s charming and delicious gems.
- Also from Liane – she interviewed blogger and author Karlynn Johnson on her latest cookbook, The Prairie Table, to be released May 21, 2019.
- Liquor consumption laws at some provincial parks and at festivals have been relaxed as of this long weekend. It’ll be interesting to see how this manifests itself at events this summer.
What I Ate
- It’s been some time since I’ve been to Cafe Amore. The daily pasta special is no longer available at dinner, but all of the former daily pastas are on for $10 at lunch. So although it wasn’t Thursday, I was able to order my usual pasta alfredo, delicious as always.
Pasta alfredo (with chicken)
- We took Emily to Love Pizza on Friday, one of our #yegdt staples. We had been wanting to try the “Not Just for Breakfast-Za”, featuring our favorite Irvings Farm Fresh bacon. The feature is available until the end of the month!
The Meatatarian and the Not Just for Breakfast-Za
- The City Market’s new location is just short walk away from Chinatown – I hope others take advantage of this as we did on Saturday. I foresee more weekend visits to King Noodle House on the horizon because of it!
Bun Bo Hue at King Noodle House