- The next quarterly Dinner with Canada’s Top Chefs at the Shaw Conference Centre takes place on November 2, 2018. Tickets for the 7-course meal (including wine and spirits pairings) are $150.
- The latest culinary experience from Northern Bites on December 1, 2018 features a visit to a Christmas market and cookie baking. Tickets are $70.
- Congratulations to Bundok, which was honoured as one of Canada’s Best New Restaurants on En Route’s prestigious annual list.
- Tiffin Box just announced a third location in Windermere.
- OEB’s first Edmonton location opened today at 10174 100A Street! Lillian shared what she was able to try at the media preview.
- The Harvest Room at the Hotel Macdonald will be offering a 45 minute 3-course express lunch starting November 1, 2018.
- Twyla raved about her experience at vegetarian Vietnamese eatery An Chay.
- Lydia previewed the food at Chef Hung Taiwanese Beef Noodle.
- Crystal is a fan of the treats from Destination Doughnuts.
- The latest episode of the Let’s Find Out podcast features Siu To, also known as the “Green Onion Cake Man” in Edmonton. He recently opened a storefront that sells his famous green onion cakes on 118 Avenue.
- Also about Siu To – CBC’s Julie van Rosendaal shares his recipe for green onion cakes in case you’d like to try to recreate them on your own.
- Although more restaurants are considering inclusive tipping models, a study indicates that tipping actually makes diners feel more satisfied.
- In this new era of legal recreational cannabis, Fish muses about why public liquor consumption should be permitted.
- Urban agriculture advocate Dustin Bajer was recognized as one of this year’s Avenue Edmonton Top 40 Under 40.
- The Alberta Local Food Council met this week. They will “provide recommendations on provincial policies, programs, pilot projects or initiatives to support the continued growth and sustainability of Alberta’s local food sector.”
- Mack and I stopped into DOSC last week for breakfast. Although their Sober Cat concept has been well received, their breakfast menu seems to be flying under the radar. The $5 breakfast sandwich with bacon, egg, cheese and tomato was a good deal, and was especially tasty with a house-made brioche bun. Our coffees were on the house that day, with a special offer from YEG Food Deals available until October 31, 2018.
Breakfast sandwiches from DOSC
- Congratulations to Twyla Campbell on the publishing of a biography about the late Gail Hall, titled Maps, Markets and Matzo Ball Soup. The book is available for purchase at Audrey’s Books. To commemorate the launch, Kitchen by Brad is hosting a book signing and cooking demonstrations on November 3, 2018, and Get Cooking will be teaching a class using Gail’s recipes on December 2, 2018.
Twyla Campbell with her labour of love