It’s been a crazy month at work, so I’m really looking forward to our Seattle vacation coming up. A heads up that there won’t be a Food Notes post next Monday. On to this week’s food notes:
- Food4Good is hosting their next fruit and veggie sale on May 30, 2017 at the Glenwood Community League (16430 97 Avenue) from 10am-2pm.
- The Downtown Edmonton Community League’s annual pancake breakfast is taking place on June 17, 2017. Swing by before your trip down to the City Market.
- Tickets for the second Eats on 118 this year are now on sale – the June 28, 2017 crawl will visit Lan’s Asian Grill, The Blind Duck, and Plaza Bowl.
- In conjunction with REDx Talks on July 6, 2017, Chef Shane Chartrand is organizing a meal that will celebrate the heritage and culinary roots of participating chefs.
- ‘Ono Poke Co. is the second poke restaurant in Edmonton (opening within a few weeks of Splash Poke), with a soft opening scheduled for June 3, 2017 at 10142 104 Street. The Globe & Mail has a preview of what to expect.
- Su gave me a heads up that there’s another bakery in store for Old Strathcona – Fan Fan Patisserie is coming soon to 10330 80 Avenue.
- Chachi’s is open in South Edmonton Common.
- Bundok is now open for brunch on Saturdays starting at 10am.
- Burrow Cafe in the Central LRT station is temporarily closed while its future is decided.
- Ms. Hangry Foodie reviews the latest Korean fried chicken joint in Edmonton, Yummy Chicken, at 6111 28 Avenue.
- Graham gave a positive review to St. Albert’s Privada Wine and Tapas. Last week, I missed linking to related news that Privada’s chef Tony Krause will also lead the new restaurant stepping into the vacant Alberta Hotel space.
- Linda’s hoping for more dog-friendly patios in Edmonton, and shared how restaurants can apply for the required permit.
- On the heels of Alder Room’s opening (who sells advanced tickets for their set-course meals), the National Post published a piece on why more restaurants are moving in this direction.
- Alberta Food Tours is running a contest to showcase the best of Alberta’s food scene with an Instagram contest. 150 prizes will be awarded to photos hashtagged #eatalberta150 on Instagram submitted between May 23 to August 7, 2017.
- The chef line-up for the 2017 Gold Medal Plates competition is set. The event runs October 12, 2017.
- Cindy’s latest Edmonton Cooks post is up – she made Sugarbowl’s cinnamon buns.
- If you’re still looking for fall vacation ideas – consider Liane’s culinary tour to Chicago in October.
- Bottega, the new restaurant from the family behind Cafe Amore and Black Pearl, is near completion at 10181 104 Street. Though they’re not quite ready to serve yet, they were open on Saturday to take advantage of the City Market foot traffic. They hope to open in June.
- Mack and I took Grandma Male for her first ever dim sum experience on the weekend! She particularly enjoyed the spring rolls and shrimp dumplings at Tasty Noodle.