- The third annual Winter Signature Drink Contest is now open! You have until January 31, 2016 to submit your concoction for a warming alcoholic or virgin brew.
- It looks like the demand for food crawls is alive and well – the tickets to the YEG Food Crawl in Little Italy on January 28, 2016 sold out in less than a day. Hopefully there are more events to come!
- Sad food-related news to share: Call the Kettle Black is closing on the eve of their twentieth anniversary, due to changing shopping habits skewing to more online sales and the adjacent bridge closure. They will be open until January 30, 2016 to vacate their remaining stock.
- Both the Journal and CBC paid visits to Workshop Eatery.
- More love for Prairie Noodle Shop from the Andrea and the Edmonton Sun.
- Cheryl visited 97 Hot Pot for lunch, and found a great deal for $13.
- Vue Weekly stopped by South Indian restaurant Kerala on the south side.
- Jonny reviews a hidden gem in Little Italy – Abyssinia Restaurant.
- Lillian made some respectable food resolutions for 2016. I know for us, we will continue to reduce our food waste at home.
- I failed to link to Vue Weekly’s 2015 wrap-up articles last week – on notable restaurants, the year in food, and Edmonton’s year in wine.
- I also haven’t yet linked to Jennifer Cockrall-King’s piece on the trend of modern dining experiences – is good food not enough?
- The U.S. released their 2015 Dietary Guidelines, and it’s full of euphemisms and confusing language, the result of the involvement of lobbyists and political interests.
- A colleague and I needed a quick lunch in the neighbourhood on Friday, and with a jam-packed Prairie Noodle, we opted for Delicious Pho a few doors down. Unfortunately, it did not live up to its namesake, with a broth that is unlikely made from scratch.
Pho with brisket and meatballs from Delicious Pho
- We celebrated Mack’s birthday with a belated dinner at Tzin over the weekend. While we couldn’t pass up their famous bacon, we also enjoyed their paella for two, and the true standout of the evening, grilled bison with a great northern bean puree and a shiitake compote.
Bison with a great northern bean puree and a shiitake compote
- It was a cold one on Saturday when we stopped by the Deep Freeze Festival. So we padded our winter fat by indulging in the poutine.