It’s been a whirlwind December, so I’m looking forward to Christmas now more than ever. All the best of the season to you and your family! On to this week’s food notes:
- The Hoang Long Fresh Market is hosting a free lunch for the less fortunate on December 30, 2015, from 2-4pm.
- RGE RD’s expansion next door – called The Butchery – is now open, offering terrines, sausages, breads and other savoury treats.
- Board games café Table Top Café is preparing a second location, located at 10235 124 Street. The opening date is tentatively set for January 9, 2016.
- The relocated Planet Organic in Oliver (12230 Jasper Avenue) has signage announcing a January 13, 2016 opening date.
- As expected, Prairie Noodle Shop’s brick and mortar location has been overrun since opening last week. If you can get in, you can expect good things, as reported by Cindy, Linda, Robyn and Twyla. Learn more about Prairie Noodle from Phil’s latest Off the Menu podcast.
- Another new restaurant to our city, The Workshop Eatery, has continued to garner its share of reviews, this week from Andrea.
- Vue Weekly checks out the southside mainstay Al Salam.
- Did you know the Yellowhead Brewery serves up brunch on Sundays? It looks like they’ve also added a side of jazz to the meal as well.
- You’ve been waiting for it: Phil’s final Edmonton Perogy Showdown post crowns its ultimate winner. Sounds like Taste of Ukraine is the place to go!
- Jason Foster predicts some of the craft beer trends to come in 2016.
- If you’re still hunting for a gift for a cookbook lover on your list, Grub Street has a great list of suggestions.
- The downtown location of Da Capo is finally underway at 9888 Jasper Avenue! The original timeline for completion was December or January, but I think we can safely push that back.
- Mack and I met up with Phil and Robyn at Bru last week. It’s a lovely spot in the evening, and I like the fact that both coffee and beer are available.
My mantra in the mornings
- It’s been eight months since I had a Vatican City from The Burger’s Priest, but I just had to go back for a second. Man, did it hit the spot.
Vatican City (aka a double burger with two grilled cheese buns)