- 1st RND’s second location in Oliver, at 11248 104 Avenue (the former Hudson’s), opens December 1, 2015. Does anyone know if it is a local chain?
- Culina, which now runs some of the cafes/food stalls in City of Edmonton facilities like the ACT Centre and golf courses, is debuting a Nordic Brunch at the Victoria Golf Course location of their Dogwood Café on December 12, 2015. The brunch runs on weekends from 9am-3pm.
- Mark your calendar: the annual 104 Street Customer Appreciation Day takes place on December 17, 2015. Check out the page for discounts and a schedule of events.
- Nineteen’s second location in St. Albert opened earlier this month. Cindy and Linda checked out the new digs at a media dinner.
- Alberta Hotel Bar & Kitchen rolls in with more mixed reviews, this time from Chris and Crystal.
- Sambol Sri Lankan Kitchen has been getting some great press lately – Jonny pitched another positive review.
- Vue Weekly paid a visit to Huma Mexican Restaurant.
- Julie van Rosendaal, of Dinner with Julie fame, highlights some of the great eats she had in Edmonton this summer.
- Just in time for the cold: Avenue Edmonton has a great round-up of five mac ‘n’ cheese dishes, including an indulgent burger from 1st RND featuring two patties: one beef, one deep-fried mac ‘n’ cheese.
- Also from Avenue – they spotlight a few local restaurants where you can pull up a seat to the chef’s table.
- The second round of Phil’s Great Edmonton Perogy Showdown is now up.
- Karen’s latest Seen and Heard episode features Lillian (aka Beyond Umami) and all her macaron-making tales.
- Jerry shares his experience at a recent A Seat at Our Table dinner.
- Earth’s General Store’s downtown location still isn’t in a good place, shares store owner Michael Kalmanovitch.
- Speaking of retail, this is an interesting study from the University of Alberta School of Retailing, focusing on the grocery stores in Canadian urban centres, including Edmonton. It shouldn’t surprise you that Oliver is underserved.
- I can never resist stories about ugly produce, and this one mentions the Daily Table, a non-profit retail store in Boston that sells food past its “sell by” date.
- The meal-in-a-kit hasn’t quite hit us in Alberta yet, but down in the US where it is all the rage in some states, BuzzFeed reveals just how much packaging waste is produced from a single box.
- Could you live off of soylent, the powdered food substitute, for a week? A New Trail contributor gave it a try.
- Have you heard about the concept of “personalized nutrition”? It is the idea that an optimal diet should be tailored to the individual, based on their blood sugar levels or insulin release.
- Zinc’s sweet and spicy prawns, served on a bed of green pea risotto, has to be one of my favourite dishes in Edmonton.
Prawns with green pea risotto from Zinc
- Another one of my go-to dishes is the shepherd’s pie (wish a side of sweet potato fries, of course) from Blue Plate Diner. I may or may not have influenced the entire table to order it as well.
Shepherd’s pie from Blue Plate Diner
- Mack was craving Bun Bo Hue, so we hit up King Noodle House over the weekend.
Bun Bo Hue from King Noodle House