It might be a little early for some, but I finally convinced Mack to let me put up the Christmas tree this weekend! And given the snow blanketing the city right now, it is beginning to look a lot like Christmas. On to this week’s food notes:
- There’s an interesting event on November 24, 2015 organized by the Political Science Undergraduate Association: "Sustainable Snacks: The Politicized Nature of Food”.
- Vegan take-out isn’t easy to come by, so Blue Rose Vegan might be what you’re looking for. They’re offering a $40 vegan snack box for pickup on November 27, 2015. Orders must be placed by November 25.
- Mark your calendars for the last Dela pop-up of the year, an 8 course pop-up on December 20, 2015. Tickets will be on sale shortly.
- For those already planning ahead – the Old Strathcona Farmers’ Market will be open on December 23, 2015 for last-minute shopping.
- Workshop Eatery is now open for lunch and dinner!
- The Almanac is opening on November 30, 2015 at 10351 82 Avenue.
- It looks like the former Century Grill has been taken over by Plates International, a buffet house to open December 15, 2015.
- Cindy is the first out of the gate, reviewing the new Alberta Hotel Bar & Kitchen. It sounds like they have a ways to go to be consistent, but they are still a fairly new establishment.
- Stephanie reviews Yumioca, one of the newest bubble tea shops in Edmonton.
- Daravara got some love this week from Rebecca and the Journal.
- Phil is starting a new quest, this time, to find the best perogies in Edmonton. Let the battle begin!
- Speaking of Phil, he invited Liane Faulder and I to join him in a discussion on some of Edmonton’s new restaurants, favourite food gifts, and why Edmonton can’t seem to crack those national “best of” lists. Thanks for having me!
- Vue spotlights Woodwork and their creative cocktail program.
- I’m sorry to hear that The Cheesiry is calling it quits: they’ll sell out their remaining inventory which should last until next summer. Make sure to get your hands on Rhonda’s fantastic pecorino while you still can!
- There’s another pizzeria joining the ranks of Downtown Edmonton – Love Pizza is opening at 10196 109 Street in January 2016.
- Dovetail hosted our last What the Truck?! gathering with our vendors this year, so we relished the opportunity to sample their carvery sandwich of the day, a roast pork shoulder with pickled carrots and Pilsner mustard.
Roast pork sandwich from Dovetail Deli
- We stopped in at North 53 this week while in the neighbourhood and finally tried their popcorn chicken. They were more like chicken doughnuts, but we could definitely see their appeal.
Popcorn chicken from North 53
Pad Thai from Numchok Wilai