- The Green and Gold Garden, which raises funds for charitable projects based in Rwanda, is into its seventh year. Located at the U of A South Campus, it opens to the public on June 30, 2015, and will be open the remainder of the summer on Tuesday evenings and Saturdays.
- Staff Meal is back! Their first event of the summer is a stand-up 4-course tasting on July 6, 2015 at Get Cooking. Tickets are $60.
- Did you want to learn more about Ramadan? Al Rashid Mosque is hosting a family-friendly Taste of Ramadan on July 10, 2015, from 6:30-9:30pm at Centennial Plaza. Yes, there will be food!
- Ikki, Edmonton’s newest izakaya at 11931 Jasper Avenue, opens on July 18, 2015 at 6pm.
- Need a way to keep cool during this heat wave? One of Edmonton’s newest food trucks is Scoop n Roll, which serves up rolled ice cream (yes, you read that correctly). Check their social media for updates on their location.
- New restaurant alert – Workshop Eatery, which will feature rooftop beehives, looks like an exciting concept to keep an eye on!
- Prairie Noodle hosted its final ramen pop-up last week – Diane and Cindy recapped what you missed. But don’t worry – the organizers are working on moving into a permanent storefront on 124 Street.
- Liane covered the SalvagED pop-up lunch at Earth’s General Store last Friday featuring reclaimed ingredients donated from local farms. Their next pop-up is slated for Friday, July 24.
- I had to laugh at Liane’s headline for her story that Col. Mustard’s Canteen on 124 Street won’t be returning: Col. Mustard, killed in the kitchen, with a sewer pipe. The owners will be rebuilding on the land, however, and hope to have a restaurant move in.
- K-Days released their annual list of indulgent food to look forward to. Midway treats will include lobster corndogs, glazed donut grilled cheese (I’d try that, yes), and mini-donut popsicles.
- Congratulations to Teresa and the rest of her team ahead of the grand opening of their first Italian Centre in Calgary on July 2, 2015. The location features Western Canada’s largest deli, offering over 600 items. It is located at 9919 Fairmount Drive SE.
- Speaking of neighbours to the south, Gasoline Alley in Red Deer is also home to a branch of Pete’s Drive-in.
- There’s been a lot of debate about the Canada Food Guide. Two Global reporters followed it for a week and shared the experience and challenges. For something completely different, take a look at Brazil’s “guide”, which is simply a series of ten best practices.
- Given Edmonton will be home to a Whole Foods soon, buyer beware: investigators have found that Whole Foods stores in New York and California have routinely overcharged customers by mislabeling packages.
- Mack and I headed to Tzin this week to celebrate my birthday. As always, we were floored by their hospitality, and the food was wonderful. Thanks to Kelsey and Corey for a great night!
An off-menu seared tuna – looked and tasted like art
Tzin’s bacon – the best two bites in Edmonton