If you’re still looking for something to do this Valentine’s Day weekend, make sure to take a peek at my suggestions. Mack and I haven’t made plans yet, but likely they will involve Netflix and some popcorn. On to this week’s food notes:
- Time for another lunch pop-up at Earth’s General Store downtown! This time, they’re featuring raw and vegan cuisine by Truffula. Check it out on February 13, from 10:30-3pm.
- The Mercury Room is hosting a 5-course Valentine’s Day dinner with two seatings.
- If you were hoping to charm your valentine with wine, you’re in luck – both Andrea and Linda are giving away tickets to Winefest on Saturday.
- Congratulations to Chef Ryan O’Flynn of the Westin for taking home Edmonton’s first gold at the Gold Medal Plates competition this weekend!
- NAIT announced that this year’s Chef in Residence will be Michael Stadtländer, of Scaramouche and multiple sustainable food initiatives. Enter to win one of four pairs of tickets to an exclusive three course lunch prepared by Chef Stadtländer and students of the Culinary Arts Program taking place on March 12, 2015.
- The Edmonton area has another quick-serve noodle franchise – Noodle Box just opened in Sherwood Park (100 – 222 Baseline Road).
- In honour of the upcoming YEG Coffee Week, Phil surveyed some local luminaries for their favourite cafes around the city.
- Phil’s latest Pizza Odyssey post is also up, which sees Parkallen take on SLiCE Pizzeria.
- Liv put together a list of 25 of Edmonton’s best restaurants for Huffington Post Canada.
- Great to see news or Ritchie Market, a new complex in Richie that combines a market, a Transcend coffee shop and roasterie and a brew pub. Expect it to open in the summer of 2016.
- The forthcoming Canadian Food Championship, organized by Events Edmonton and taking place July 21-25, 2015 released more details about the competition. They’re looking for competitors in seven categories ranging from bacon to seafood to dessert, as well as volunteers and judges.
- The Edmonton Food Council is recruiting new members. The deadline to apply is March 16, 2015.
- The “big” food news this week was Starbucks’ announcement that some of their Canadian stores will be serving up beer and wine by the end of this year.
- Mack and I loved the 24 hour biscuit shop Empire Biscuit, which we discovered on our last trip to New York. It looks like an all-breakfast sandwich restaurant is now on the horizon. Yes, please.
- I had a work lunch at Padmanadi this week – it’s been too long since I’ve had their ginger beef.