- Baconfest released their menu last week – from savoury to sweet, bacon lovers will rejoice. The event runs July 4, 2014, and tickets are $75.
- Savour Strathcona County, a celebration of food, is back on July 6, 2014, with nearly 20 restaurants and food trucks participating.
- What are you up to on July 19, 2014? Want to help build up Edmonton’s river valley food forest? Join Dustin Bajer and other Edmontonians who will be planting more than 1,000 food producing native trees and shrubs that day.
- Liane had a piece with more details about El Cortez, the forthcoming tequila bar in Old Strathcona.
- The trend of board game cafes are picking up steam in Edmonton, with The Hex Café moving onto Whyte Avenue.
- Phil’s latest Burger Odyssey post is up, comparing the offerings of Select and Cha Island Tea.
- Liv visited Meat for Dinner.
- Val posted a beautiful review of a recent meal by Chef Shane Chartrand celebrating Aboriginal cuisine at Sage. Their summer signature series is now over (their promotions never seem to run more than a week), but hopefully they bring it back again!
- Congratulations to the organizers of Porkapalooza, who reported that 25,000 people visited the three day festival. It will be back again next year.
- Learn more about Riverbend Garden’s CSA in Vue Weekly.
- Elaine Wilson, who many will know from her cooking classes and stall at local farmers’ markets, will close the current chapter of her life in favour of new beginnings. We’ll miss her in the hands-on role she’s played in Edmonton’s food scene over the years, but I’m sure she will still be out and about!
- Finally, another one of the vacant storefronts in Chinatown on 97 Street and 106 Avenue will be populated again – this time with a Korean restaurant, Lee House.
- Our What the Truck?! team had a planning meeting at Packrat Louie earlier in the week. All of us ordered pizzas. Mine was all right, a combination of buffalo mozzarella, prosciutto, spinach, mushroom and egg. I just didn’t expect that the egg would be hard boiled, or cold.
Prosciutto pizza at Packrat Louie
- Mack and I celebrated my birthday early on #yeglongday, taking advantage of the absolutely gorgeous weather with a late dinner out on the patio at Tavern 1903. I’m happy to see they’ve eliminated the $1 charge on Q Water, and yes, their truffle mac ‘n’ cheese is still just as delicious as I remembered.
Mack @ Tavern 1903
Truffle mac ‘n’ cheese and KFC (Korean Fried Cauliflower)
Short ribs and parmesan frites
- We had my family over for dinner yesterday. Among the dishes were a simple but satisfying modified caprese salad, substituting asparagus for the basil.
Caprese salad with Gull Valley tomatoes and Edgar Farms asparagus (just one more week for local asparagus!)