Mack and I were really happy when we were approached to be a part of a University of Alberta alumni magazine New Trail article about bloggers. It’s a great group to be a part of, and it was neat to read about the “origin stories” of the other writers. On to this week’s food notes:
- Remember to come out to our Pulled Pork Throwdown on Wednesday, August 15!
- The Greater Edmonton Alliance has organized an opportunity to tour some of the city’s best farm land in the north east on August 26, 2012. Included on the tour are Kuhlmann’s and Riverbend Gardens.
- Staff Meals (a pop-up dinner collaboration between five Edmonton chefs) is hosting a meal out at Tangle Ridge Ranch on August 26.
- The Bothy’s downtown location (10124 124 Street) is now open! Looking forward to getting our chicken and leek pie fix closer to home.
- The Phat Noodle (10347 Jasper Avenue) is also open – I’m curious to try their pho to see if it’s up to par.
- The Tomato tweeted that Normand’s inside The Citadel complex is set to open on August 15, 2012.
- It sounds like The Junction will be closing its doors next month.
- The Edmonton Journal reviewed Mercer Tavern: apparently, the menu’s a bit of a mixed bag at the moment.
- More signs that point to food trucks going mainstream: Applebees and Taco Bell have embraced the trend, too.
- Curious about what might be on your plate in 20 years? How about an insect burger, or sound-enhanced food?
- Meguro Ramen in Chinatown has been replaced by Golden Orchid (10626 97 Street), a Vietnamese restaurant.
- The media were in a bit of a frenzy last week when Eat St. was in town filming Molly’s Eats, Drift and The Act. Mack was on hand for Drift’s turn in the spotlight, while I filmed a short segment for The Act. It was great to see the support for the trucks, with people out in droves. Long live Edmonton food trucks!
Drift filming on Wednesday
The Act’s line on Thursday
Robyn talks about The Act’s salad
- Vue profiled Roast Coffeehouse last week. And though I’d been there for coffee, my coworker and I ducked in for lunch on Wednesday. I picked up a Chopped Leaf salad (loved the evil peanut dressing on the Bangkok salad), and an iced coffee. They looked to be short staffed that afternoon – hope that rectifies itself soon.
Chopped Leaf salad