We just announced the second What the Truck?! event – it will be taking place at one of our favourite places in Edmonton, Victoria Promenade, on August 3 from 5-9pm. Check out the line-up of trucks, and stay tuned for menus this week. Hope to see you there! On to this week’s food notes:
- Speaking of food trucks, Edmonton’s newest truck is set to hit the streets this week: welcome to Little Village Food Truck, run by the family behind Koutouki.
- Mercer Tavern finally opened on the weekend. It’s apparently been packed since – anyone been yet?
- Love bacon? Mark your calendars for Lux’s annual Bacon Day Dinner on September 1, 2012.
- Sorry to have missed this pop-up dinner on the High Level Streetcar, offered by Staff Meal Edmonton.
- Liane reports that the space vacated by Bueno Gelato on 123 Street and 102 Avenue will be filled by Cookie Love.
- Caffe Sorrentino joins the burgeoning list of locally-owned options at the Edmonton International Airport, which includes Wok Box and Coney Island Candy.
- The latest Strip Search feature in the Edmonton Journal highlights “Little Lebanon”.
- Looking for an easier way to browse your favourite local food blogs? Mack’s got a solution for you over at ShareEdmonton!
- Vote for your favourite community garden at Sustainable Food Edmonton!
- The Globe shone a spotlight on the city’s growing farmers’ market scene last week.
- Falafel 101 (10159 101 Street) looks about ready to open.
- Frozen yogurt really is taking Edmonton by storm: Tutti Frutti is set to launch another location in Southgate Mall. Watch for the grand opening on July 29, 2012, when free frozen yogurt will be handed out from noon-3pm.
- Mack and I had a great time at the “bring your own patio” event at Tres Carnales on Friday. Perhaps we took the name a little too literally, as we were the only ones who walked our entire patio set over, but we were thankful for the table – it’d be a challenge to eat tacos on one’s lap! The event organizers are planning for another event in the fall, when the report is brought back to Council.
Makeshift patio (the fish tacos were delish!)
- It was too hot to cook last week, but I had to use the stove to make one of my favourite warm weather meals: Yankee fish cakes. I served it atop Lactuca greens and Gull Valley tomatoes.
Yankee fish cake salad
Have a good week!