My sister Amanda moved to Toronto last week! I know we’ll still talk lots (and she may be the reason why I finally get a smart phone), but I’m going to miss her! On to this week’s food notes:
- You can vote for See Magazine’s annual Best of Edmonton poll now until April 28, 2011 (Mack’s blog is one of the options under “Best Local Blog!”).
- Kerstin’s Chocolates sent me the following tidbit: this Easter, Kerstin’s Chocolates is going to give one lucky person a free 1-year membership to our new Chocophilia Choc-o-the-Month Club (worth $600!). Customers who make a purchase at the register or online will be entered for a change to win! Enter before April 23rd, and then find out who wins on April 25th.
- Check out Live Local for information on some great upcoming events, including the second in their series of Live Local dinners (this one at Sabor Divino on April 28), high tea at Hotel Macdonald to celebrate the marriage of William and Kate, and a local chefs series at Everything Cheese in May.
- Liane mentioned this week that Prairie Bistro, the eatery at the Enjoy Centre, was set to open today.
- Also opening today is Chai Pani (8205-105th Street), a chai tea bar that will be serving pastries from around the world. It’s always great to have another coffee shop option on Whyte!
- Congratulations to Jean Pare for thirty years of Company’s Coming success!
- Mack and I attended a special meeting of the City Market tonight, called for members to vote on whether or not the Board should proceed with considering the Mercer Warehouse as a viable year-round option. The vote was a resounding no: 69 against and only 3 for. The Board has now been directed to consider other possibilities, such as continuing at City Hall for the time being.
- Urban Diner has a great round up post of all of the Vancouver food carts.
- I think this seems even cooler than the recent trend of pop-up restaurants – underground street food markets.
- Based on the name of the show, I really thought this was an April Fool’s Day prank, except that I think Top Chef’s Carla Hall would be great as a host: ABC is set to launch a daytime talk show about food called The Chew.
- I had a lunch meeting today at Ninh Kieu, and had their pho again for the first time in a while. The serving of meat was very generous, and as meatballs go, really quite tasty!
- There’s nothing like winding down the afternoon with a beautiful vanilla latte from Credo.