As much as I enjoyed the first season of The Walking Dead (a mere six episodes that it was), I was really hoping the writers would throw the audience a bone – count me in as a part of the camp that needs to know the history behind the Zombie Apocalypse. And now – we have to wait until Halloween 2011 to find out more? Good thing I have Top Chef: All Stars to tide me over, at least for a while (Go, Jennifer!). On to this week’s food notes:
- Missed the recent Santa’s Anonymous Tweetup? Not to worry – another socially-conscious Tweetup benefiting Edmonton’s Food Bank is being held at Original Joe’s Varsity on December 17, 2010.
- Local Public Eatery, a restaurant that is opening in the old OPM spot (1820 99 Street) in South Common on December 8, 2010, will have a gluten-free menu.
- Congrats to Sergio, who opened La Monarca, a new Latin bakery at 4119 106 Street (780-218-9777) on December 1. Liane and Chris both wrote about it last week. All pastries are 2 for 1 until December 10!
- Liane also wrote about a new downtown lunch spot called The Sequel Cafe (10011 102 Avenue, 780-425-9210), which should have opened today. Always great to have more non-fast food options in the core!
- Lots of new around town lately – Culina’s outpost at the Muttart Conservatory opened on December 2.
- Another big congratulations to Valerie and Maria, who launched their Taste Tripping culinary business recently. Love that they’re cheeky enough to offer a couples sausage making class for Valentine’s Day.
- Andrea blogged about her order from the Organic Food Box – good to read about, as I was wondering what a typical order contained.
- Great piece from Newsweek about the growing class division in America as expressed through the food that we eat.
- You know food trucks are mainstream when…one of the networks builds a half-hour comedy around them.
- Tea Fusion in Edmonton City Centre is now open (thanks, Chowdown!). I was told it was supposed to be a tea purveyor (like David’s Tea), and though they do sell loose teas, it looks like their focus is on drinks – both hot tea and bubble tea (menu here).
- Oodle Noodle is now downtown (10842 Jasper Avenue)! We were amazed they opened on time, given they looked like they were very much in construction mode a few days earlier. It’s one of Mack’s favourite quick-serve restaurants, so we couldn’t pass up the 2-for-1 offer ( it expires on December 12). It’s a fun place, with loud music, bright LCD screens, and friendly staff. I’ve always thought it miles above Wok Box – give it a try some time!
Mack is thrilled to be at Oodle Noodle
Penang Laksa and Combo Box
- Corso 32, Daniel Costa’s 32 seat Italian restaurant, is set to open on December 10 (thanks for the comment, Shermie).
Corso 32, coming soon!
- Browsing at Chicken Scratch on Whyte Ave over the weekend, Mack and I came across a hilarious toy – who would win?
Will it be Mr. Bacon or Monsieur Tofu?
Have a great week, everyone!