- Feng Donburi is a new Japanese restaurant that opened in Windermere, at 16408 Ellerslie Road SW.
- Calgary-based Lloyd’s Patty Distro, offering Jamaican patties, will be opening a location in Edmonton at 10534 111 Street.
- There’s still time to check out cat-inspired specials as a part of Edmonton Cat Fest, running from May 20-28. 10 restaurants and food businesses are participating, including PhatBar Bakery’s cat paw cookies and HanJan’s mewngo bingsu. A portion of proceeds from all items will be donated to Cat Fest and local rescue organizations.
- The next Sari Sari Mercado market, featuring 40+ Filipina/o/x businesses, plus 6 Asian food trucks will be taking place on June 17 and 18.
- Canada’s 100 Best Restaurants list for 2023 was released last week, and as usual, the list heavily favours restaurants in Quebec and Ontario. In Alberta, 7 restaurants from Calgary were recognized, while Edmonton has just two that made the list. Congratulations to Biera (#84) and RGE RD (#89) for making the cut.
- Congratulations to Ply Pasarj from Rogue Wave Coffee for placing second at the Canadian National Barista Championships.
- Changes the City of Edmonton have made to patio requirements have led to some challenges for restaurants wanting to open up their patios for the season.
- Van Loc is the latest restaurant to be transparent about having to raise their menu prices.
- Edify checked out the food from Monsoon Bistro & Bar and Banh Mi Day.
- The deadline to order St. Viateur Bagels for the B’nai Brith Youth Organization fundraiser has been extended to May 31. Taproot Edmonton also wrote a story about their efforts.
- Seoul Fried Chicken will be opening up a location in Calgary.
What I Ate
- Freya and I came out of retirement to deliver our first Chinatown walking tour in five years. We reflected on how little has changed in the neighbourhood in that time, unfortunately. After the tour, we accompanied the guests for lunch at 97 Hot Pot. Their lunch menu, featuring a soup base and 6 items, is such a great deal.
My 97 Hot Pot spread
- We hit up Jack’s Burger Shack to satisfy a craving for their hangover burger on Friday. And Emily will never pass up the chance to indulge in a cinnamon toast crunch milkshake!
Our standard Jack’s Burger Shack order
- While in Old Strathcona, we stopped by the expanded Yelo’d. It was hoppin’, as would be expected on a warm summer day. I liked that we could choose between a light and a dark waffle cone.
ChocNut + Choc Cake ice cream from Yelo’d
- Our plot at the Alex Decoteau Community Garden is in for the season! Although Ellie was around for our harvest last year, she will actually be able to partake in the produce this summer – we’re looking forward to introducing her to the beauty of sun-warmed tomatoes and strawberries (if Emily is willing to share)!
Start of garden season!