My sister is getting married this weekend, so a heads up that there won’t be any Food Notes next week. I hope you’re making the most of these last few weeks of summer too! On to this week’s food notes:
- The Fringe starts later this week – if you’re curious about the food available, consider subscribing to Taproot Edmonton’s Fringe roundup. I have it on good authority that edible fare will be mentioned!
- Why Not’s Art & Brunch Club is back with a hip-hop edition on August 26, 2018.
- The final Eats on 118 this year takes place on August 29, 2018, and will tour four female-led businesses in the neighbourhood. Tickets are $47. I attended the first event earlier this summer and had a great time.
- Congratulations to Biera, Bundok, and Kanto who made the long list of En Route’s annual Best New Restaurants list.
- The Sweet Pea Cafe and Playhouse is now open at 14238 85 Avenue.
- Smokehouse BBQ has relocated to 15960 109 Avenue.
- The Alder Room has closed its doors, but chef/owner Ben Staley is hopeful the restaurant will return in the future in a new location.
- Transcend Coffee’s Garneau location has undergone a makeover.
- Graham has nothing but praise for Wildfred’s.
- Crystal checked out the happy hour specials at Silk Bar & Kitchen.
- The Journal reviewed Sherwood Park’s La Patrona.
- Vue Weekly paid a visit to Sweet Mango.
- Sustainable Food Edmonton is organizing a community bike tour of four local gardens on August 25, 2018. The activity is free, but pre-registration is required.
- A report for the Edmonton Regional Metropolitan Board indicates that the agriculture system in the area may be “reaching a tipping point”. The board will be voting on an agricultural vision this fall.
- The perfect opportunity to finally try Cacao 70 came in the mail – a coupon offering a free chocolate-dipped cone! The sweltering conditions also made it a great day for ice cream.
Dark chocolate dipped cone at Cacao 70
- I love the brunch at Meat – my go-to beef brisket benny never disappoints.
Beef brisket benny
- I had lunch at Wishbone for the first time today; their double beef burger is a beauty. The brioche bun and processed cheese made it stand out.
Double beef burger at Wishbone