I was flattered when Karen asked me to be a part of a Seen and Heard in Edmonton podcast, her series that highlights local online content creators. We had a great conversation about some of the changes in the food blogging scene since I started nine years ago, among other things. Thanks again for having me, Karen! On to this week’s food notes:
- The third SalvagED lunch at Earth’s General Store Downtown will pop-up on August 25, 2015 from 11am-2pm. The meal is put together using ingredients that would have been otherwise discarded.
- Little Brick is planning an end-of-summer shindig on August 28, 2015, from 6-9pm, with food, drinks, games and music.
- The annual Viva Italia Viva Edmonton event is planned for August 30, 2015, from 12-9pm in Giovanni Caboto Park (95 Street & 109 Avenue).
- The next Staff Meal is taking place on the Senger Farm on August 30, 2015, featuring a supper inspired by Latin American fire cooking. Tickets are $95, and include a return bus trip to the farm.
- I’d be remiss if I didn’t also remind you all to save the date for the finale of our 2015 What the Truck?! season, taking place at Churchill Square on September 11, from 4-8pm. Expect 35 trucks.
- The 4th annual Edmonton Beer Geeks Anonymous’ Real Ale Festival runs September 12, 2015. The $30 tickets will sell out fast, but if you want an idea of what to expect, check out Jason’s recap from last year.
- BRU Coffee + Beer House, located at the Pearl (11965 Jasper Avenue) is now open, though for the time being, is only offering espresso-based drinks and pastries.
- Sante, a café that offers healthful salads, sandwiches and drinks, is now open on 104 Street, in the space formerly occupied by Carbon (10184 104 Street).
- The Journal reviewed Tapavino (11011 Jasper Avenue), a wine bar featuring small plates not unlike Niche, the restaurant it replaced.
- Cathy is the latest to check out Huma Mexican Food on the south side.
- Lots of love for Little Brick this week, courtesy of Andrea and Cathy.
- We heard through the grapevine that Mother’s Market (which announced its temporary closure on July 18, 2015), is permanently closed. They’ve deleted their Facebook and Twitter accounts; no word on what is to happen to the space.
- Congrats to Valerie and Cindy, whose blogs made the Williams Food Equipment list of “Top 25 Must Follow Canadian Food Bloggers”!
- I had no idea maple syrup was controlled by a quota system in Quebec, not unlike the dairy quota closer to home. It sounds like there are proponents on both sides.
- Before Dark Matters last week, Mack and I stopped by King Noodle House to quench our bun bo Hue craving. It worked.
Bun bo Hue from King Noodle House
- The What the Truck?! crew met over charcuterie and flatbread at Ampersand 27 tonight. I returned to the Forest Floor, but Mack’s Salty Pig was a really tasty diversion.
Forest Floor flatbread
2 thoughts on “Food Notes for August 24, 2015”
Such a pleasure to talk to you, Sharon. And thanks for spreading the word about Seen and Heard!