I was a little under the weather yesterday, so couldn’t get to my notes until today. Lots to catch up on:
- Don’t want to fight the crowds at Porkapalooza this weekend? Solstice is hosting a “backlot bbq” on June 21, 2015 with a pig roast and drinks.
- Get your computers ready: the Prairie Noodle Shop’s last pop-up is taking place on June 27, 2015 at NAIT. Seats will be released on June 20 at 1pm.
- I love the idea of the Sunset Soiree on July 5, 2015 – dinner and a movie outside on the beautiful La Cite Francophone grounds. Tickets are $22 for adults, and include a glass of wine and hors d’oeuvres.
- It looks like an izakaya has taken over Jono’s Bar in the Illuminada Building (11931 Jasper Avenue). Looking forward to the opening of Ikki.
- We could have used a coffee vending cart at our brunch What the Truck?! this weekend, but better late than never – great to see Nomad Espresso is going to make great coffee available in unexpected places. Check them out at the Drawing Room (10253 97 Street) the rest of the week from 8am-4pm.
- Evonne reviews the newest Thai option in Strathcona County – Sawaddee (664 Wye Road).
- Stephanie visited Brooklyn Tomato in their new location at 2920 Calgary Trail.
- The Journal reviewed The Black Pearl, the new seafood restaurant downtown opened by the family behind Café Amore.
- Cindy’s love of ramen took her to North 53’s recent ramen pop-up.
- If you didn’t attend Indulgence this year (as I did not), Andrea and Cindy captured what we missed.
- Great to hear that Battista’s Calzones is the latest local restaurant to be featured on Food Network Canada’s You Gotta Eat Here.
- Ever consider making your own croissants from scratch? Then Lillian’s croissant bake-off post is a must-read – she and a few friends tested four different recipes, including the one from Duchess.
- Ramen seems to be increasing in popularity in Edmonton, but I’m not sure we’ll ever have the opportunity to have baths in ramen broth, as they do in Japan.
- I met up with some friends earlier last week at Gui Lin Noodle House (10626 97 Street). If you love preserved vegetables, this is the place to go – the flavours imbue the broth. We also found the portions to be huge and the service unassuming but friendly.
BBQ pork with vermicelli in soup, Gui Lin style
- Our large team of staff descended on Padmanadi for lunch on Wednesday, and it always amazes me how well they handle big groups – all orders were correct and the food was fast. Bravo.
Ginger beef at Padmanadi
- A cancelled Pecha Kucha meant an excuse to linger at Tres Carnales with Annie on Thursday. It’s been too long since I’ve had their fish tacos.
Pescado tacos Tres Carnales
- Mack bought me an early birthday present in the form of tickets to Ed Sheeran’s concert. He was amazing, only backed up on stage by his loop pedal. Thanks, Mack!
Ed Sheeran at Rexall Place