- The Edmonton Craft Beer Festival runs this weekend, June 5-6, 2015.
- Latitude 53’s patio series kicks off next week on June 11, 2015.
- The Mac is already looking forward to their Canada Day celebrations, inviting revelers to enjoy their fabulous patio on July 1, 2015.
- Mark your calendar – the annual Savour Strathcona County event will be taking place on July 5, 2015. It’ll be an opportunity to sample from 17 different restaurants and food trucks.
- Everything’s coming up St. Albert, it seems – Liane shared the big news that Nineteen will have a second location in the former Hole’s Greenhouse.
- Tracy shared that Urbano Pizza (10220 103 Street), operated by the folks behind neighbouring Sabour Divino and Bodega, should be open in mid-June.
- More sandwiches, anyone? Calgary’s Chiachi’s Sandwiches is opening up in West Edmonton Mall this summer. They’re aiming to be ready mid-August.
- Some may be familiar with South Street Burger from their Cross Iron Mills location in Southern Alberta, but it’ll be closer to home when a branch opens up at 127 Avenue and 153 Street.
- Summerside residents can look forward to Cured Wine Bar (2307 Ellwood Drive), shooting for a summer opening as well. Cindy’s on top of all of the new places to look for!
- Phil’s latest Pizza Odyssey is a triple-header, featuring Capital Pizza, Chicago Deep Dish and Versatos.
- Vue has a great profile on Upson’s Cordials, a locally-made beverage option perfect for summer cocktails.
- Sayonara, Urban Spoon – Zomato has taken over the brand it purchased, changing the review system, among other things.
- It looks like the Chinatown location of Wong Jung Gak has closed (10023 107 Avenue). In its place, It’ All (which must be related to It’ Dog somehow) is poised to open as a “well being Korean buffet and Japanese all you can eat”. I have to say I’ve never seen gluttony associated with health, but hey, why not?
- It was an honour to be recognized as a “True Friend of McCauley” on Saturday, alongside Maria and Roxanne, my Chinatown Night Market co-organizers. It was humbling to be included on a list with some of Edmonton’s prominent social justice advocates and long-time community volunteers. Thanks again to Jane for the acknowledgement.
A True Friend of McCauley!
- Because of the damage done by last year’s hail storms and this year’s dry spring, Edgar Farms has decided to stop picking their early. So there are only two more weeks to enjoy their amazing asparagus – make sure to get to Strathcona or the City Market soon!
Asparagus will make it into many of our meals this week…
- To mark the end of a long day, Mack and I headed over to Parlour on Thursday for an old favourite pizza (the Gamberi) and tried a new favourite (the Sonny Boy, with soppressata and mushrooms).
Double header at The Parlour
- On Sunday, Mack and I helped Gramdma Male celebrate her birthday with brunch at Canteen. It was the best dish I’ve had at Canteen – milk-braised turkey, egg, crispy onions and gravy over thick-cut toast. Delicious.
Milk-braised turkey, egg, crispy onions and gravy over thick-cut toast at Canteen