I would apologize for my extended absence, but a vacation and extended time spent with family and friends was just what my soul needed. I feel rested and ready to take on the new year! I hope you all had a wonderful holiday with loved ones, and hope you have a fabulous 2014! Here are some of my catch-up notes that cover the past few weeks:
- A number of new restaurants opened up in December such as Woodwork, the storefront from the folks behind Nomad. Vue Weekly provides a portrait of the restaurant in progress, as well as some of the philosophy behind the food and drink. Andrea had lunch there, while Chris also has an early review, noting that the temperature of the restaurant has been impacting dining experiences.
- The Glass Monkey, replacing the Jack’s Grill in Lendrum (5842 111 Street) is now open. Anyone been yet?
- The Phork (101, 9707 110 Street), occupying the revolving door space in Grandin most recently occupied by Antonio’s, opened on December 13, 2013 (thanks, Eva, for the heads up!). They are ambitious, serving up breakfast to late night. Perhaps this is the magic needed for that location?
- Craft Beer Market, a Calgary import, opened at 10013 101A Avenue on December 19, 2013. They have over 100 beers on tap, and a large food menu. Several bloggers attended their opening event, including Cheryl, Chris and Liv.
- Even Sherwood Park has a new restaurant: Square One Wye Road (#32, 993 Fir Street). Liv has already tried some of their diverse menu items.
- If Urban Shabu is busy, you can now head down the block to 97 Hot Pot (10602 97 Street). Linda checked it out and loved their broths!
- Lincoln spotlights Tasty Choice (107, 2920 Calgary Trail) in his YEGventures series, offering Asian comfort food.
- Sushi Sugoi (2874 Calgary Trail), in the former Outback Steakhouse location on Calgary Trail, is now open.
- No photo, unfortunately, but a restaurant called Delicious Pho is coming soon to the space that previously housed The Makk (10418 124 Street).
- Learn more about North 53 (10240 124 Street), another restaurant in the growing inventory of establishments on 124 Street. They are accepting reservations starting on January 15, 2014.
- The big news this December was twofold – Roast (10359 104 Street) in the Mercer Warehouse closed, ending the presence of another independent coffee shop downtown, but a day later, it was announced that Tres Carnales would be taking over the space, offering a new Mexican concept.
- Congrats to the winners of the city’s Winter Drink competition, Transcend and Jasper Place High School!
- Do your 2014 resolutions include learning more about food? Check out Shovel & Fork’s winter class calendar.
- We had a smashing time in New York, exploring places old and new. I felt we knew a bit more about the city on this visit, so was better able to maximize our time there. There were lots of memorable moments, but as some of you already know, Mack asked me to marry him in Central Park, and I said yes!
At The Mall in Central Park