Doesn’t it feel like we’re deep into winter now, even though the snow only fell this past weekend? All the more reason to indulge in hot drinks and make pots of soup, I say! On to this week’s food notes:
- It looks like North 53 has tentatively set their opening date as December 4, 2013!
- The Jack’s Grill space (5842 111 Street) is being renovated to become The Glass Monkey, a gastropub to be run by Darcy Radies, formerly of The Blue Pear.
- Look for Century Hospitality Group to open Hart’s Table & Bar in the new year, replacing the Ric’s Grill in Terwillegar (14229 23 Ave).
- Unfortunately, another local restaurant has shuttered: Bistro Saisons has now closed. Cheryl wrote a post honouring the restaurant, and encouraging diners to patronize small businesses.
- Speaking of closures, Omar dug deeper into the curiously fast failure of Plow & Harvest, and uncovered that the restaurant was perhaps a purposeful flop.
- Liv reviewed Jack’s Burger Shack in St. Albert.
- I was wondering when Edmonton would get another upscale olive oil and vinegar store, given Calgary has several: Oliv Tasting Room (Calgary has three locations) is opening up in Crestwood at 9656 142 Street.
- Congratulations to Chefs Nathin Bye and Blair Lebsack on making this year’s list of Aveue Edmonton’s Top 40 Under 40!
- Avenue Edmonton has a story this month about how local restaurants deal with serving celebrity guests.
- I love recipes that seemingly repurpose single-use appliances: 12 things you can make using a waffle iron. I need to try those hash browns.
- Great article from the NYT about broccoli’s extreme makeover.
- Churchill Square was packed with crowds taking in River City Round Up on Saturday. It was a great event, with a food truck corral, lots of children’s activities, and entertainment.
River City Round Up