I hope everyone had a lovely Thanksgiving! Mack and I were fortunate enough to have not one, but two wonderful turkey dinners surrounded by family and friends. On to this week’s food notes:
- Co-op is hosting its annual Grape Escape in Edmonton on October 18-19, 2013 at the Expo Centre.
- Mirepoix Trio is hosting two upcoming pop-ups: brunch on October 20, 2013 and a Ukrainian-themed dinner on October 24, 2013.
- The Bruce Peel Library at the University of Alberta will be unveiling a special exhibit titled, “Collecting Culinary: Cookbooks and Domestic Manuals Mainly from the Linda Miron Distad Collection”, which will run from October 25, 2013 – February 7, 2014.
- Sabzy Persian Grill, which relocated to the southside (9314 34 Avenue) from its original location in Old Strathcona, is now open.
- Vue Weekly reviews the newest Filipino-focused restaurant to hit the streets, Cuisine Ni Mutya.
- Andrea and Robyn shared their experiences of State and Main, the new pub located in Southgate Centre.
- Tavern 1903 continues to garner attention from the Journal and Dine and Write.
- The City Market hosted its last outdoor market on Saturday, and on October 19, 2013, will kick off its indoor market season in City Hall.
Promoting the winter market!
- The Common must have been having an off-day on Friday. Everything from the service to the food was disappointing that night. Our server was MIA for much of the evening, and never once offered to refill our water or even ask if we’d like dessert before serving us with the bill. The food was also uneven – the calamari was all right, but both entrees were problematic – May’s chicken was too dry, while my fish and chips were in dire need of salt.
Fish and chips at The Common
- Cactus Club is getting ready to unveil its second location in Edmonton, a ripe streetfront space on Jasper Avenue and 111 Street. I attended a media reception on Wednesday night, and sampled bites ranging from their new tuna sushi cones (I loved the tempura crunch) to their ever-popular BBQ duck clubhouse sandwiches. Though Chef Rob Feenie was on hand, I have to admit I was more excited to meet Chef Matt Stowe (Top Chef Canada’s season 3 winner that we had been rooting for). The location opens some time this week.
BBQ duck clubhouse
With Chef Stowe
One thought on “Food Notes for October 14, 2013”
I hated missing that! I’d really been looking forward to the Cactus Club opening on Jasper and getting the chance to meet Chef Rob Feenie and Chef Matt Stowe. Lucky you got to meet them!