We’ve had such a beautiful transition from summer to fall that it’s hard to imagine that we’re already at the end of September! Hope you’ve had a chance to enjoy the gorgeous weather! On to this week’s food notes:
- To commemorate the first anniversary of their shop, Cookie Love will be hosting the Cookie Eating Classic at the 124 Street Market on September 26, 2013 at 7pm. Mack will be among the media personalities competing for bragging rights, as well as collecting donations for a variety of local charities.
- Alberta Culture Days kicks off on September 27, 2013 with an al fresco party on 104 Street. There will be music, an artisan market and food trucks. I’ll be there with the Downtown Edmonton Community League handing out free popcorn – hope to see you there!
- The Italian Centre is celebrating its newest location in the west end (17010 90 Avenue) on September 28, 2013 from 11am-4pm. Expect food, entertainment, car displays and a tango flash mob at 2:45pm.
- The Edmonton Community Foundation and Edmonton Social Planning Council are releasing Vital Signs, a report on food security in Edmonton, on October 1, 2013.
- Choklat, the only Alberta “bean to bar” chocolate shop, is now open in Old Strathcona.
- Liv reviews one of the newest food trucks to hit Edmonton’s streets: Orbitz.
- Vue Weekly profiles Mealshare, a relatively new program to Edmonton that partners with local restaurants. For every Mealshare item purchased from participating restaurants, a meal will be donated to a local charity.
- I was so sad to have missed the Long Table Dinner in Calgary, but Valerie’s post recaps what looked like an amazing event.
- Dead tired on Saturday, neither Mack or I were in the mood to cook supper. Our go-to that night? Our reliable standby, Route 99.
Poutine from Route 99