It’s been a whirlwind to plan, but it’s finally here – I hope to see you at the 97 Street Night Market on Saturday! On to this week’s food notes:
- The Edmonton Latin Festival is coming up this weekend, August 17-18, 2013 in Churchill Square.
- The next Ten Mile Meal will be taking place on August 24, 2013. Check out the activities and menu here.
- Also that day is the 4th annual Bacon Day at Lux Steakhouse & Bar. Tickets are $70, with $25 from each ticket going to support of the Youth Empowerment & Support Services.
- Sabor Divino’s tapas and wine bar is now open.
- For the first time, En Route Magazine is offering readers the opportunity to vote for the “Best New Restaurant” category. Edmonton’s Canteen is among the restaurants being considered – so support your local favourite!
- The Journal asks, “What is local?”
- The City of Edmonton released their new food truck operating guidelines this week – it’ll be interesting to see if more trucks do take advantage of the longer service hours.
- Phil blogged about some of his unsung local food heroes, recognizing Joveena Holmes, Su Dennis and Cynthia Strawson. I heartily concur!
- Would you eat meat grown in a lab?
- Yes, Taco Bell is now offering waffle tacos for your breakfast pleasure.
- Three Amigos is opening up a second location downtown at 10247 Jasper Avenue.
- Lays is currently running a contest where Canadians can choose the next feature flavour. For your consideration: Maple Moose, Perogy Platter, Grilled Cheese and Ketchup and Creamy Caesar Salad. Mack and I tried the last two – they taste disappointingly like ketchup and ranch chips, respectively.
Choose your Lays
- Cask & Barrel has been a great post-work meeting place, and even better last Wednesday when we found out they offer free wine tastings on the first Wednesday of every month. Score!
Free wine tasting @ Cask & Barrel
- Mack and I were in Calgary over the weekend for a Jack and Jill party. We managed a few food stops, including Kingsland Market, Phil & Sebastian and Village Ice Cream. I’d highly recommend the latter – my salted caramel and Mack’s spiced banana were among some of the best ice creams we’ve ever had.
Phil & Sebastian’s bottled cold brew coffee
Village Ice Cream