It’s been a whirlwind to plan, but it’s finally here – I hope to see you at the 97 Street Night Market on Saturday! On to this week’s food notes:
- The Edmonton Latin Festival is coming up this weekend, August 17-18, 2013 in Churchill Square.
- The next Ten Mile Meal will be taking place on August 24, 2013. Check out the activities and menu here.
- Also that day is the 4th annual Bacon Day at Lux Steakhouse & Bar. Tickets are $70, with $25 from each ticket going to support of the Youth Empowerment & Support Services.
- Sabor Divino’s tapas and wine bar is now open.
- For the first time, En Route Magazine is offering readers the opportunity to vote for the “Best New Restaurant” category. Edmonton’s Canteen is among the restaurants being considered – so support your local favourite!
- The Journal asks, “What is local?”
- The City of Edmonton released their new food truck operating guidelines this week – it’ll be interesting to see if more trucks do take advantage of the longer service hours.
- Phil blogged about some of his unsung local food heroes, recognizing Joveena Holmes, Su Dennis and Cynthia Strawson. I heartily concur!
- Would you eat meat grown in a lab?
- Yes, Taco Bell is now offering waffle tacos for your breakfast pleasure.
- Three Amigos is opening up a second location downtown at 10247 Jasper Avenue.
- Lays is currently running a contest where Canadians can choose the next feature flavour. For your consideration: Maple Moose, Perogy Platter, Grilled Cheese and Ketchup and Creamy Caesar Salad. Mack and I tried the last two – they taste disappointingly like ketchup and ranch chips, respectively.
Choose your Lays
- Cask & Barrel has been a great post-work meeting place, and even better last Wednesday when we found out they offer free wine tastings on the first Wednesday of every month. Score!
Free wine tasting @ Cask & Barrel
- Mack and I were in Calgary over the weekend for a Jack and Jill party. We managed a few food stops, including Kingsland Market, Phil & Sebastian and Village Ice Cream. I’d highly recommend the latter – my salted caramel and Mack’s spiced banana were among some of the best ice creams we’ve ever had.
Phil & Sebastian’s bottled cold brew coffee
Village Ice Cream
5 thoughts on “Food Notes for August 12, 2013”
So many things to comment on in this post, but I’ll say that Village Ice Cream Salted Caramel is something that shouldn’t be missed when in Calgary.
I’m definitely checking out the 97st market Saturday. Sounds like the weather will be great!
I have no idea where you get the energy to do so much for the betterment of this town, but you deserve a medal or something.
Great work as always Sharon.
thanks for the bacon day shout out
FYI: the finalist who came up with the perogy platter chip flavour is from Edmonton. I haven’t tried them all yet, but the perogy one sure tastes like bacon!
I love Village Ice Cream! Especially their Phil & Sebastian’s Coffee ice cream! Also their new hot fudge is delicious! I wish we had an ice cream shop like that here, but at least for the summer we have liquid nitrogen ice cream, and Blue Giraffe’s salted caramel is incredible!
I tried three of them (not the Perogy one) and the Maple Moose one is by far the worst. Read my taste-tasting analysis here: http://alberba.com/taste-testing-four-lays-do-us-a-flavour-contest-chips/