I had great intentions to catch up on writing and some other things this weekend…but then I found myself just enjoying the long weekend. I hope you were able to take in the sunshine as well! On to this week’s food notes:
- A reminder about Slow Food Edmonton’s Berkshire & Beer event at the Yellowhead Brewery on May 26, 2013. The menu is now up as well.
- Dishcrawl will be hosting their next neighbourhood crawl around Southgate Mall on June 12, 2013.
- Liv professed her love of the sandwiches at Pure Kitchen.
- Vue profiled Sailin’ On, the newest food truck to hit the streets in Edmonton.
- Sad news: the Arbour Room at the Rutherford House is now closed due to staffing and financial challenges.
- I missed this article last week – ever wanted to peek into RGE RD Chef Blair Lebsack’s kitchen? Now you can.
- I also missed linking to Omar Mouallem’s fantastic piece about the history (and his history) with Burger Baron.
- Mack sent me this amazingly nutty clip from a recent episode of Gordon Ramsay’s Kitchen Nightmares. The owners are so stubborn and blind to their toxic behaviour that it’s hard to believe the confrontations aren’t staged.
- Valerie posted a recap about Eat Alberta 2013. Her pictures are gorgeous, and bring me right back to the day.
- Mack and I trekked across the High Level bridge over the weekend for dinner and dessert. The latter was made up of visits to Transcend and Menchies. Transcend was advertising their new cold brew coffee (something we’ve made at home, but are generally too lazy to do on a regular basis). Mack loved it, commenting that it actually tasted like coffee, though given it is filtered several times, we were surprised to see so many unidentified flecks in the mixture.
Transcend’s cold brew coffee
- Menchie’s, the newest frozen yogurt chain to land in Edmonton, is set up in the same way as other self-serve froyo establishments, with a wall of yogurt options and an adjacent topping station. I did appreciate the easy access to sample cups, though was hoping for more fresh fruit options. Overall, I enjoyed the strawberry sorbet, but probably wouldn’t be able to pick it out of a froyo line-up.
- Felicia and I hit up Hundred for an Alley Burger last night. I don’t know what it is, but the burger always tastes better when consumed outside on a warm summer night.