Thanks to everyone who picked up tickets to the third annual Eat Alberta conference – I’m happy to announce that less than two weeks since we released them, they are now sold out! On to this week’s food notes:
- Creole Envie will be hosting a farm-to-fork dinner on April 14, 2013. Tickets are $75.
- Vue Weekly has released their ballots for their annual Golden Forks Awards (I’m hoping the online link will work soon). The deadline to submit your favourite restaurants is April 24, 2013.
- I was sorry to hear that Jack’s Grill closed as of Saturday. The owner Mark Goodwin’s comment regarding competition from newer eateries was heartbreaking, but seems to ring true, “‘We changed the menu six or seven times a year, but trying to get the young people to come here instead of to Corso 32 … it’s hard.’”
- The Greenhouse is expanding downtown! They are moving in next to Bistro Praha on July 1, 2013. It’s been a while since I’ve been, but given it will be located just across from The Chopped Leaf in Commerce, perhaps salad bars are on their way up?
- The Edmonton Pubs group (including Sherlock Holmes and Moriarty’s Bistro) has been sold.
- Liv reviewed Pizzeria Rossi, the new incarnation of da Capo on 109 Street.
- Chef Chris Consentino was in town as the Chef in Residence at NAIT last week. Both Maki and Phil popped by one of his classes. Love to hear that he dined at Corso, Tres Carnales and Three Boars!
- Vue published an article about food bloggers last week, and I was happy to be interviewed for the piece, alongside Liv and Michelle.
- I wasn’t able to make it out to the inaugural 10 Mile Meal this past weekend, but I hope to attend one of their upcoming events this summer! Anyone have tales to share from dinner?
- Great to hear that the Heritage Chickens program at the U of A is already fully subscribed! It’s such an innovative idea to adopt your own heritage chicken, and I love that you can name it too!
- Three organic milk producers in Alberta have called it quits, and are reverting to conventional milk. It makes me thankful that I can source locally-produced Rock Ridge milk next door at Pangea!
- It will be April next week, so it’s the perfect time to think about joining a CSA! Take a look at what Riverbend Gardens is offering. It’s great that they have several options, including a “couple size” package!
- After the Make Something Edmonton launch on Thursday, Mack and I refuelled at our favourite diner, Route 99. There’s nothing like poutine to help get the gears going on a new project!