I hope you all had a restful Christmas, and are all geared up for the New Year. Isn’t it crazy how time flies? At least the weather is co-operating for our transition into 2013. May it be a good year for you! On to this week’s food notes:
- Mark your calendars: Fork Fest will be taking place January 20-24 and 27-31, 2013.
- Century Hospitality Group has announced their next venture, The Parlour Italian Kitchen & Bar, to open in Spring 2013 at 10334 108 Street.
- The Journal featured a roundup of their writers’ favourite meals in 2012. Cafe Amore was a prominent pick.
- Huffington Post crowd-sourced their “Best New Restaurants in Canada 2012” list by looking at peer-review sites like UrbanSpoon, Chowhound and Yelp and also local bloggers and newspapers. Congrats to local restaurants Three Boars and Sloppy Hogs who made the list!
- Vue Weekly has a great snapshot of local bakers in the city in their own words – how it all began, their approach to baking, and trends for the next year.
- Liv shared what she hopes won’t be on the menu, food-wise, for 2013.
- Huffington Post wrote about 20 food and health trends they expect to see in 2013.
- I was remiss in not linking to the NYT/Pete Wells epic takedown of Guy Fieri’s Times Square restaurant, Guy’s American Kitchen & Bar, earlier. Given people are still talking about, seems its better late than never.
- Massimo’s Cucina Italiana, the Italian Centre’s venture into the restaurant world, opened in December. It is located next to the south side Italian Centre, at 5012 104A Street.
Massimo’s Cucina Italiana
- Working between Christmas and New Year’s, I resolved to reward myself a bit by not packing brown bag lunches. Instead, I used it as an excuse to warm up with pho.
Pho from Mama Pizza/Pho Huang