I hope you all had a restful Christmas, and are all geared up for the New Year. Isn’t it crazy how time flies? At least the weather is co-operating for our transition into 2013. May it be a good year for you! On to this week’s food notes:
- Mark your calendars: Fork Fest will be taking place January 20-24 and 27-31, 2013.
- Century Hospitality Group has announced their next venture, The Parlour Italian Kitchen & Bar, to open in Spring 2013 at 10334 108 Street.
- The Journal featured a roundup of their writers’ favourite meals in 2012. Cafe Amore was a prominent pick.
- Huffington Post crowd-sourced their “Best New Restaurants in Canada 2012” list by looking at peer-review sites like UrbanSpoon, Chowhound and Yelp and also local bloggers and newspapers. Congrats to local restaurants Three Boars and Sloppy Hogs who made the list!
- Vue Weekly has a great snapshot of local bakers in the city in their own words – how it all began, their approach to baking, and trends for the next year.
- Liv shared what she hopes won’t be on the menu, food-wise, for 2013.
- Huffington Post wrote about 20 food and health trends they expect to see in 2013.
- I was remiss in not linking to the NYT/Pete Wells epic takedown of Guy Fieri’s Times Square restaurant, Guy’s American Kitchen & Bar, earlier. Given people are still talking about, seems its better late than never.
- Massimo’s Cucina Italiana, the Italian Centre’s venture into the restaurant world, opened in December. It is located next to the south side Italian Centre, at 5012 104A Street.
Massimo’s Cucina Italiana
- Working between Christmas and New Year’s, I resolved to reward myself a bit by not packing brown bag lunches. Instead, I used it as an excuse to warm up with pho.
Pho from Mama Pizza/Pho Huang
6 thoughts on “Food Notes for December 31, 2012”
1) Huffington Post crowd-sourced their “Best New Restaurants in Canada 2012” list by looking at peer-review sites like Chowhound and Yelp and also local bloggers and newspapers. Unfortunately, you forgot to mention Urbanspoon, given the Huff’s article was inspired by Urbanspoon’s 2012 Canadian list (link in the article). On that note, I give more credibility to Urbanspoon than Yelp, given the controversies surrounding the Yelp brand.
2) Delux Burger is set to open a third location on January 3rd, this time in Terwillegar, in the same complex as Famoso. Check this tweet: https://twitter.com/DeluxBB/status/285775380135170049
Happy 2013 Sharon! great catch up!
I’ve been trying to rack my brain for the name of a sake bar that just opened in the south side – any ideas? 🙂 Thanks!
Hi Michael – do you mean Izakaya Tomo? http://www.izakayatomo.net/
You’re right – addition made. And thanks for the heads up about the third Delux Burger. In the coming year, the suburbs will likely see aggressive expansion, of not only national chains, but local ones as well.
Yay, thanks 🙂