Mack and I have been trying our best to take advantage of the lengthening daylight hours by going on more and more evening walks – it really feels like spring is here! On to this week’s food notes:
- Sorrentino’s Annual Garlic Festival kicked off on April 1, 2012. This year, they are focusing on highlighting local ingredients.
- If you were already thinking about it, this is a good week to give Crepe Symphony a try – all of their savoury crepes are $5 from April 2 – 7, 2012.
- I’ve heard quite a bit of buzz about Three Boars (8424 109 Street) as of late. Anyone know when it is opening?
- It has been interesting to see the direction Culina has taken in the past few years, first in expanding to enhance the food options at the Muttart Conservatory, and now serving up food in the Culina Cantina at the Edmonton Police Service Headquarters.
- Backyard chickens have been in the news as of late – I have to wonder if the media picked up on Kevin’s webisode.
- Every time we walk past Remedy downtown, we are absolutely amazed to see how packed it is – where did all of these folks hang out before it opened? Or did they just migrate from the Garneau location? Anyway, it was neat to see a profile on Remedy owner Sohail Zaidi in the Journal this weekend.
- It was neat to see Slow Food member Johwanna Alleyne in the Journal – I had no idea she had a side pickle business!
- Tonight Mack and I attended the 25th Mayor’s Celebration of the Arts at the Winspear. I really enjoyed all of the performances this year, especially Colleen Brown’s set. It was the first year we’ve attended that they’ve eliminated the intermission in favour of a food-filled after party in the lobby, and I have to say, I think it made for richer post-event crowds! The Northlands food was hit and miss – the petit fours and cold dips were the best of the lot.
- Sherbrooke Liquor Store is organizing a California Wine Showcase, taking place at the Royal Glenora Club on April 13, 2012 from 6:30-9:30pm. The $65 ticket price is includes access to food and over fifty different wineries. Best of all, the event supports two good causes – Sherbrooke is donating proceeds to KidSport Edmonton and the Royal Glenora Gymnastics Program. The organizers were nice enough to not only provide a 10% discount to readers of this blog, but they have also offered me two tickets to give away. So to enter, just answer the following question by leaving a comment below with a valid e-mail address before noon on April 6, 2012. I’ll pick a comment at random and contact the winner by e-mail. The question is: What about the California Wine Showcase are you most looking forward to? Good luck!
EDIT on April 7, 2012: Congratulations to AH for winning the two tickets!