At the Edmonton International Film Festival’s 24/ONE screening last year, I voted for the film that made me laugh out loud the most. I ended up using the same measure this past Friday at this year’s 24/ONE. 6 Hours by Fourth Wall Productions got my vote (I couldn’t . It seemed others in the audience enjoyed it just as much, and they took home the coveted Best Picture prize, which is determined by the audience. It was a good time – check it out next year if you get the chance! On to this week’s food notes:
- Congrats to Transcend baristas Josh Hockin and Ben Put who took home both first and second place at the Canadian Barista Championships today!
- Liv wrote about Engrained, a new eatery on the U of A Campus in the Edmonton Clinic North building.
- Chris reviewed The Burger Joint on the south side.
- I wasn’t able to make it out to the Fall Sturgeon County Bounty at the Prairie Adventure Gardens this weekend, but Andrea was! Live vicariously through her delicious pictures here.
- Marilyn wrote about a lovely potluck dinner she had with fellow gardeners of the Edmonton Organic Growers Guild.
- The Journal staff were up to their elbows in pie judging which pie would take home the prize in The Great Pie Project. Congrats to Ruth Reay and her strawberry rhubarb pie! Find her recipe and nine others here.
- Looking for a unique Christmas gift? Valerie has updated her schedule of 2012 Taste Tripping classes.
- Love this: a photographic retrospective of food trucks! (Maria, the chuckwagons are for you!)
- I heart Gail Simmons! Here’s an interview she did recently with the Huffington Post. I’ll have to try her fish sauce/risotto trick some time.
- Will this be a trend that moves to Edmonton soon? Catch down in Calgary now has their wine menu on iPads!
- We had another one of our epic potlucks at work. It probably is a good thing we don’t have them too often, or else afternoon naps would become a standard, too!
Too much food!
- While Mack’s Mom was in town on Saturday, we had lunch together at Famoso. It was my first time having the pizzetta/soup combo, and I loved the fire-roasted tomato bisque! The sharpness from that sprinkle of cheese really helped bring out the flavour.
Sweet BBQ chicken pizzetta and tomato bisque
- We also attended a lovely wedding on Saturday – congrats to the newlyweds Mag and Joey!
The cupcake tower mirrored the colours of the wedding
- Mack and I also finally visited the Fort Edmonton Footbridge this weekend. A coworker commented to me that she doesn’t normally deem bridges to be a destination, but this one, tucked in the Wolf Willow neighbourhood, should be. The view from the top, with the sound of the creek bubbling away, reminded us more of Banff (minus the mountains) than of Edmonton.
Fort Edmonton Footbridge
Wolf Willow Ravine
View from the top
I hope you have a good week!