So, Bokashi. We’ve been seeing each other for more than three months, and though I know I haven’t been tending to our relationship as much as in the beginning, I feel it is because you don’t have room for me! Every so often, I stir the pot, hoping that the juices will flow, but nada. Sigh. I think we may just have to start over.
Okay, the relationship metaphor is probably a bit too much, but it pretty much sums up our first quarter with Bokashi (I first wrote about it back in February). It shouldn’t be discouraging (especially because Mike warned us that it does require a bit of a learning curve), but seeing the success of others highlights that we’re doing something wrong.
We started adding more material to the composter after about two months, given that the volume in the bin (as a commenter had indicated) had decreased. We also tried to take Sarah’s advice by not stirring it every time, and simply sprinkled the Bokashi over top.
Bokashi after three months
Three months later, we have acceptable mold (apparently, white is the good kind), and on top of the compost, a bit of moisture. But no magical tea.
No tea for you
It’s still a bit unclear to us how long we need to let the compost ferment in the bin before it can go in the garden, but we figure three months should have been enough time. We’ll be bringing the first load to my parents’ place this weekend.
To the garden!
Hopefully, our second batch of compost goes better. C’mon Bokashi – I know we can get through it.