I really needed this long weekend – as we are now into August, it feels like the summer is flying by at a maddening pace, and I can’t keep up! And with the Fringe right around the corner, I know it’ll be September before we know it. On to this week’s food notes:
- It’s your last chance to pick up Beer & Boar BBQ tickets – hope to see you at Alley Kat on Sunday, August 8!
- On Saturday, the Edmonton Food Bank wasn’t on target of meeting its target. Hopefully, they were able to do so on the last day of the Heritage Festival today, but in the event that they don’t, there’s an upcoming event that may help: “Kraft has partnered with Edmonton’s Food Bank for an event on August 14th at the West Edmonton Mall. The Kraft Peanut Butter Bears ‘Smoothie’ and ‘Crunchy’ will be on site sharing free hugs to everyone who visits between 11 a.m. and 4 p.m. For every hug that ‘Smoothie’ and ‘Crunchy’ receive, Kraft will donate one 500g jar of peanut butter to Edmonton’s Food Bank in an effort to help relieve hunger within the city. Anyone who can’t make it out in person, can still support the cause by visiting this website to send a virtual hug.” to send a virtual hug. Kraft hopes to generate enough hugs to donate up to 7,500 500g jars of Kraft Peanut Butter to Edmonton’s Food Bank.”
- The ARTery is having a block party on August 21 – look forward to a pancake breakfast, BBQ and lots of art for sale.
- Expect three more Cora’s to land in Edmonton by October – I hope one of them is located downtown.
- Lillian is in Toronto and will be attending Foodprint, a conference discussing how food shapes the city – I hope she will be writing about the sessions!
- Want to escape? Check out Valerie’s blog to read about her adventures in Paris. I can almost taste the crepes…
- I made a lunch date with Ellen on Friday to finally try the sandwiches at Elm Cafe. From what I’ve been reading on Nate’s Twitter feed, I am amazed with the continuous creativity of the sandwiches, and was happy to be able to sample them!
Mexican pulled pork with nachos, avocado, sour cream and cheddar
Ellen’s sandwich with romano, ricotta, pinenuts, arugula, eggplant and roasted red peppers
- More alfresco dining, this time with one of our favourite summer recipes – braised tilapia (from Ocean Odyssey) with Sundog Organic leeks and Gull Valley tomatoes