Though I didn’t get away to far-flung food havens in 2008 (compared with my travel-filled 2007), I still had a great year, continuing to explore the culinary scene in Edmonton and beyond.
So again, in no particular order, here are a few of my culinary highlights from the past year.
- Many a meal with Mack, my stalwart dining companion, including a lovely birthday dinner at Characters.
My first experience with foie gras at Characters (in paté form, unfortunately)
I heart the brioche bread course at Wildflower
Warm Chocolate Cake from the Red Ox Inn
- Continuing to be thoroughly impressed by the dining scenes in Calgary and Vancouver.
Duck Confit and Steak Sandwiches from Calgary’s JAROBlue
Montreal Smoked Meat Omelette from Calgary’s Galaxie Diner
Divine Butternut Squash Ravioli from Vancouver’s Cactus Club Bentall 5
Vancouver’s Vij’s famous Lamb Popsicles
- Unique chocolate and coffee tasting experiences at The Cocoa Room and Transcend Coffee, respectively.
Me and Amanda in The Cocoa Room
Roasting gradient example at Transcend
- Experimenting in the kitchen much more than I expected, and throwing my first-ever dessert party in the spring and a housewarming party for Mack and Kim in the fall.
Melting Moments (one of the five desserts we served)
Apple-Cheddar Turkey Burgers (slider-versions served at the housewarming)
- Contributing to FoodTV and to Vue Weekly, in the process getting the opportunity to meet some of Edmonton’s upstart chefs and restauranteurs.
Margherita Flatbread at Devlin’s (Executive Chef Sebastian Lysz, the focus of my first published piece)
- Being invited to Team NAIT’s Culinary Olympics practice to see some beautiful culinary works of art.
One fabulous platter
- Attending my absolute favourite food-themed event of the year, TASTE! of Summer 2008 in St. Albert.
TASTE! of Summer at St. Albert Grain Elevator Park
Here’s to an even better 2009!