We’re not able to harbour pets in our current building, but it doesn’t mean I can’t love dogs! I’ve heard so much about the Avenue Goes to the Dogs Festival on Alberta Avenue but we’ve never been – when I saw that they will have wiener dog races at noon on Sunday, I knew where we’d be this weekend. Hope you’ll be out and about as well! Onto this week’s food notes:
- Add another market to the Sunday list: the Century Park Sunday Market runs every Sunday from 9:30am-2pm until September 29, 2013. It just started on June 2, so it isn’t surprising they only have 8-10 vendors, but given the sudden increase in Sunday markets, I’m not sure how many more they can realistically attract.
- It’s great to see The North Edge (Central McDougall and Queen Mary Park, just north of downtown) repeating their successful series of food tours, now called Flavour Journey. Tickets are just $30, and grant you samples at three restaurants in the area. The event will run July 17, 31 and August 7, 2013.
- 10 Mile Meal has announced two of their upcoming events. The first is an urban meal in partnership with a Taste of Edmonton on July 27, 2013, where tickets are $60. The second is in Calmar, Alberta, the summer fair meal will celebrate German recipes made using locally-sourced ingredients. Tickets range from $65-80, depending on the inclusion of a farm tour.
- Speaking of Taste of Edmonton, they have released a full printable menu online. The festival runs July 18-27, 2013.
- Dishcrawl is already planning their next event, and it is right in my neck of the woods, 104 Street! The event runs on August 6, 2013, and tickets are $50.
- RGE RD, Chef Blair Lebsack’s new restaurant in the former Blue Pear space, is set to open this week! Keep your eyes peeled on Twitter.
- Avenue Edmonton’s fifth 25 Best Things to Eat List is finally online. For an annual feature that readers anticipate, you would think the editors would get it up sooner.
- The Act Out & About was featured on Eat St. last week! Great to see Edmonton representation on the show.
- Liane wrote about one man’s quest to quietly promote beekeeping in the city.
- I didn’t really understand the reason for the hype around “cronuts” (a cross between a croissant and a doughnut) until I read this.
- Mack sent me a link to a Business Week article about the McWrap at McDonald’s, and how it will not only position themselves as a “Subway buster”, but also will change the cucumber industry.
- Grub Street reports that Hostess products (think: Twinkies) may be getting makeovers in the near future, with health-conscious labels such as gluten-free, whole grain, and stevia-sweetened snack cakes. Well, if Kraft Dinner did it, why not Twinkies?
- Mack spied that Irie Foods (10152 82 Avenue) on Whyte Avenue is no longer, soon to be replaced with Pho 102.
Pho 102 Noodle Soup