Last week flew by, partially because I was sick for half of it, but mostly because we had U2 to look forward to! I have to say, I was more excited for the potential spectacle of it all – it was my first rock concert, and definitely my first concert with that many people. Best of all, it did live up to my expectations – my favourite moment had to be the romance of starry-lit cell phones in a darkened Commonwealth Stadium. Thanks, Mack for taking me! On to this week’s food notes:
- Flirt Cupcakes is coming downtown! They’re opening up at 10108 105 Street.
- Still looking for a Father’s Day gift? Kerstin’s Chocolates ever-popular bacon chocolate bar is back from June 9 to June 19, with two options to choose from: milk chocolate chipotle and bacon bar or dark milk chocolate salt, pepper and bacon bar. Both are made using Irvings bacon. Make sure to check their new store hours before stopping by, though.
- Good luck to Chef Shane Chartrand, who is competing in Vancouver at the National Chef’s Challenge.
- Liv wrote a great review of Shiraz, an Iranian restaurant that is easily missed, but shouldn’t be.
- Liane finished up her series on local bakeries with a piece on Baltyk Bakery near Kingsway (a good reminder to check it out, especially since it’s only a 15 minute walk from my office).
- The current issue of Merge Magazine (guest edited by Ken Bautista!) features profiles of several of my favourite local establishments, including Credo, Elm Cafe and Niche.
- It’s hard to read about the great eats Foodie Suz had in New York, and not want to jet over the next day!
- Similarly, always great to get a taste of another Canadian farmers’ market, this time of the Halifax market, courtesy of Sarah.
- The June edition of Alberta Venture had a feature on sustainable meat production, with Kristen Kotelko of Spring Creek Ranch on the cover.
- I guess Top Chef Canada has been considered a success, given they’re recruiting for a second season. I hope there’s some Edmonton representation this time around!
- I had no idea Parkallen opened up a second location, in the same building as The Treasury, no less!
- The Chopped Leaf finally opened in Commerce Place. Twyla blogged about it, and based on a quick scan of the menu, their salads look very similar to The Greenhouse. Can’t wait to try it!
The Chopped Leaf
- The second location of Press’d, on Jasper Avenue and 112 Street, is coming along!
Press’d, part 2
- There had been some action in the empty Taco del Mar storefront in Icon I, but we didn’t know what would be going into the space…until this week. Looks like like there’s bubble tea in 104 Street’s future!
- I’m having a love affair with Sundog Organics pea tendrils (they are my current favourite harbinger of spring). We’re trying to enjoy them in different ways: today, we used them as a topping on our burger made with Greens, Eggs and Ham ground turkey. They were great – fresh and crisp, it definitely helped to brighten up the burger.
Turkey burger with pea tendrils