Edmonton Chef to Battle in Kitchen Stadium
For years, it seemed like Food Network Canada was ignoring the culinary talent based in Edmonton, with casting that seemed instead to favour chefs from Calgary. While our neighbours to the south haven’t disappeared off the map, it’s encouraging to see some local content finally being highlighted.
Chef Alexei Boldireff of Baijiu was featured earlier this year as a contestant on Top Chef Canada.
- Get ready to lineup: Jollibee’s first Edmonton location will open at 7am on August 16, 2019. It is located at 3803 Calgary Trail.
- It looks like the Hudson’s downtown will be transitioned to Greta, one of their sister brands in the fall.
- A new Asian dessert bar opened in July called Meet Fresh, located at 11412 Jasper Avenue.
- Jang was replaced by Izakaya O-Tori back in the spring, located at 11212 Jasper Avenue.
- The YEG Coffee Can announced that they’ll be closing up for the year, due to the damages they experienced after a break-in earlier this summer. They hope to be back next summer.
- The Hotel Macdonald is hosting a long table patio dinner on August 20, 2019. Tickets are $69 for the 4-course meal, which includes a glass of wine.
- Festa Italiana (formerly known as Viva Italia Viva Edmonton) is taking place on August 25, 2019 at Giovanni Caboto Park. It will feature food vendors, and cooking demonstrations, including a conversation and Q & A with Chef David Rocco.
- The Chinatown Business Association is hosting their annual Moonlight Carnival on August 25, 2019, which includes mooncake making workshops.
- Graham was mightily impressed by JW Marriott’s newcomers Braven and Kindred.
- Stephanie shared her Chef’s Table experience at Central Social Hall.
- Leduc wrote about a media preview evening he attended at Liuyishou Hotpot.
- En Route Magazine announced their long list of 35 restaurants in contention for their 2019 Best New Restaurants list. Partake is the only Edmonton candidate.
- After 25 years, the founder of Fat Franks has sold the business; the new owners may be more opening up more brick and mortar restaurants.
- Chef Brad Smoliak has just returned to Kitchen by Brad after heart failure and implantation of a Ventricular Assistive Device.
- The Italian Centre is celebrating 60 years in business on August 25, 2019, with samples, product demonstrations, and prizes at all three Edmonton locations.
- Sharman recapped the recent Swine and Dine hosted at Say Uncle.
Urban Agriculture and Farming
- If you have surplus fruit in your backyard, consider donating it to Prairie North. They will turn this fruit into craft cider, and donate $1 per every liter sold to the Edmonton Food Bank.
What I Ate
- Part of Sabor’s Seafood Festival this year are their Fish & Chip Fridays, in support of the Bissell Centre and the Ronald McDonald House of Northern Alberta. From 11am-2pm every Friday for the rest of August, $10 cash will get you an amazing 2-piece fish and chip deal. The ingenious packaging makes it the perfect street food, too!
Fish & chips from Sabor
- Meeting up for lunch with Linda was the perfect excuse to revisit El Fogon. I will never get tired of their beef and gouda arepas!
Beef and gouda arepa from El Fogon
- Mack, Emily, and I attended the second Pastor Party at Get Cooking on Friday, hosted by Chef Victor Hugo. While it was a tad chillier than ideal for the patio, the food and atmosphere made up for the weather! Stay tuned for the dates of future Pastor Parties.
Pastor and vegetarian tacos from Get Cooking’s Pastor Party