- Several outdoor markets have already started this year, but my personal favourite kicks off this Saturday – the City Market returns to 104 Street on May 21, 2016, and runs from 9am-3pm. See you there!
- The YEG Market District is taking place Friday evenings from 4-8pm at 152 Street & Stony Plain Road, and will host vendors, craft sellers and food trucks.
- The first What the Truck?! of the season is coming up on May 28 & 29, 2016, with over 40 trucks expected each day. Check out the line-up here, and check out Liane’s profile of some of the new trucks to expects out on the streets this summer.
- Cravings, a gluten-free food sampling fair and expo, takes place on June 12, 2016 from 11am-3pm.
- The Canadian Food Championships, taking place July 22-24, 2016 in conjunction with the Taste of Edmonton, are recruiting competitors. The categories are: bacon, burger, dessert, steak, sandwich and seafood.
- Satisfy your Korean street food craving at NongBu every Saturday from 11am-3pm.
- If you’ve ever wanted to try the University of Alberta’s Faculty Club but didn’t know someone with a membership, now’s your chance – the Club will be open to the public on Wednesday evenings and for Saturday brunch.
- Quick-serve chain Blaze Pizza opened their first Edmonton location at 15709 37 Street. It’s similar in concept to local establishments Urbano Pizza and Love Pizza.
- Millwoods is home to a new bakery and cafe called Reinette Cafe and Patisserie, located at 301 Woodvale Road.
- Chef Lindsay Porter of El Cortez shared some information about the forthcoming restaurant Have Mercy, located above El Cortez. Have Mercy will offer Southern comfort food.
- Old Strathcona will also be home to a new teppan and bar soon, Seorak (10828 82 Avenue).
- Cindy sampled her way through most of Chartier’s menu.
- Ms. Hangry is the latest to check out Quickly, the newest bubble tea chain to hit Edmonton.
- Vue Weekly reviews Juniper Cafe.
- Buzz Feed compiled a list of 31 Coffee Shops To Visit Before You Die, and three local cafes made the cut: Coffee Bureau, Elm Cafe and Transcend.
- Meat will be featured on an episode of You Gotta Eat Here on May 20, 2016!
- The West End Food Hub Alliance has rebranded as Food4Good, and hopes to one day open a grocery store that will offer targeted discounts to those most in need.
- Vue Weekly has some ideas for some great agriculture tourism day trips.
- I failed to link to it last week, but Earls backtracked on its earlier announcement that it was switching to exclusively American-sourced Certified Humane beef, and will now continue to serve some Alberta beef.
- Mack and I met up with some friends at 1st RND on Friday (hoping that the Raptors would close out the Heat that night). I enjoyed the atmosphere, and would definitely go back to watch a game. The perogy burger was great, and I appreciated the option of tater tots instead of fries.
Perogy burger from 1st RND
- After dinner, Linda introduced Mack and I to our first escape game experience at GTFO. It was more challenging than we expected (we blew through all three hints), but managed to make it out just in time!
We GTFO of Visiting Room!
- We finally made it out to CoCo Fresh Tea and Juice tonight. The salty cream chocolate wasn’t quite as advertised, but we enjoyed the passion mango slush.
CoCo to go!